twenty-one ; ask me?

a/n: Also, I never mentioned that Roland Abberly had a hair color... Darce is pronounced Dahr-s. THIS IS SUCH A LONG CHAPTER BTW IM SOOO SORRRYYY.

Published december 10, 2016. UNEDITED!

"I know I could try looking for something new
But wherever I go, I'll be looking for you."

  Wherever I Go ─ OneRepublic

_______________________

Elated, with a new practice that could save her voice, Darcy had pounced on Hermione with a hug the next day—right after the announcement of the Yule Ball.

"I've got bunches to tell you!" Darcy sang, her face taken over with a huge smile. She told her every thing—from her legilimency lessons to her cure. It was a free flow, something that Darcy seemed to practice a lot on.

And Hermione had taken just as well as Ophelia—the two had a short talk, but her aunt was nonetheless happy to hear the news.

"How far've you gotten into Legilimency?" Hermione asked, her eyes curious. It had been a while after, maybe a week and a few days.

Darcy shrugged, still searching about the book shelves in the library. Since it was the holidays, Snape had called off the lessons for the month. There was a significantly lower amount of girls, maybe because Viktor Krum wasn't there...

"Pretty good, I can keep it under control," she said, finding a book—surprise, Legilimency— and sat back down. "It's really quiet here. I wonder if Krum finally..."

Hermione shifted uncomfortably at the mention of his name, averting her eyes from Darcy. It was a small act, but the tingle in Darcy head told her otherwise. It was a reoccuring thing, ever since she was better applicable to her abilities.

"What's got you uncomfortable?"Darcy said, still flicking through the pages of her book. She glanced up, her eyes questioning.

"I—uhm," Hermione stuttered, though her eyes widened when Darcy tapped her head, implying that she could just sneak in there. "oh—fine!"

More quietly, Hermione leaned closer to her and said, "Viktor Krum asked me to the Yule Ball."

"Wait—I thought—you hated him!"

"Well—he was a decent boy!" Hermione said, covering up Darcy's mouth before she could even retort.

"Okay, okay," Darcy mumbled into her hand, prying it off. "I get it, you don't want to talk about it—oh, but, Hermione! That's adorable!"

Hermione blushed, and finally silenced the talk of boys as she was growing more stressed about Harry's second task.

"He hasn't done a thing since he passed the task," huffed Hermione. She had stomped her feet over to a shelf, grabbing more books and then dropping them back to their table.

Darcy admitted that Harry should get a break. The bloke had defeated a dragon, at fourteen. Motherfucker should've already won the tournament.

"I know he does," Hermione sighed, and Darcy could now see her eyes shimmering with tipping tears.

"Plus, he's got the Yule Ball to worry about," said Darcy, her eyebrows wiggling at her.

"Shut up," laughed Hermione.

"Hey!" Darcy retorted, her eyes playfully glaring. "I haven't got a date! I'm just looking for a god d—"

"Don't cuss!"