thirty-two ; the greenlight

a/n: wow....we're almost done with part two!

unedited. published 12/28/16

otherwise known as,

"the third task"

            "Crack it down to me, again," Ron said, still trying to focus on the Impediment Curse.

            Darcy, after Harry had told them about what he saw in Dumbledore's office, had explained her completely bipolar journey from the end of third year. It went from the legilimency lesson, to how she became mute and in the end, could exercise her vocal cord with legilimency. But to break it down, Darcy did not explain the complexity that Snape had to her.

            "Must've been a real downer to work with him," said Harry. "I probably would've jumped off the Astronomy Tower."

            "Well, I did think of that," said Darcy right after to performed a perfect Reductor Curse. "But Snape grew on me. He's not that bad, really."

            Ignoring her last comment, Harry smiled. "At least your talking now. I'm sure Sirius will be extremely happy."

            "Still freaky, though," added in Ron. "She can read our minds."

            "I can't read thoughts, Ronald," chided Darcy. She cast a successful Shield Charm against Hermione's infamous Jelly Legs Jinx. "I can only see your memories. There are no words in your minds, only images."

            "You're still doing really well, though," Hermione said encouragingly, looking down her list and crossing off those spells they had already learned. "Some of these are bound to come in handy."

"Come and look at this," said Ron, who was standing by the window. He was staring down onto the grounds. "What's Malfoy doing?"

            Harry and Hermione went to see. Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle were standing in the shadow of a tree below. Crabbe and Goyle seemed to be keeping a lookout; both were smirking. Malfoy was holding his hand up to his mouth and speaking into it.

"You know," Darcy chimed, "they've been doing that a lot. A few nights ago, I saw them in the Slytherin common room doing that."

"He looks like he's using a walkie-talkie," said Harry curiously.

"He can't be," said Hermione, "I've told you, those sorts of things don't work around Hogwarts. Come on, Harry," she added briskly, turning away from the window and moving back into the middle of the room, "let's try that Shield Charm again."

. . .

            Morning of the third task, and exams, weren't Darcy's best days to wake up to. She'd stayed up all night, worrying about Harry—and dreamt of his nice eyes.

            Sometime in the weeks that followed the third task, Darcy had sent a letter to her father. It contained her completion of the legilimency course, where he was, and her permission to spend time with Harry. It seemed like a nice thing to do—surprise Harry during the summer and then take him to Sirius and Ophelia's family home.

            In the great hall, an owl plopped down her letter

Darcy,

            I'm very proud! You have found a way to speak, with that strong and stubborn will of yours. (Perhaps you took after me). I've been staying near Hogwarts, Ophelia has been discreetly feeding me. I wouldn't stray too far from you, daughter. Not at times like these...