Chapter 32-Chionophobia: Fear of Snow

I groaned, cold seeping through my whole body, and I felt like I was being dragged. My eyes fluttered open, taking in the bright light shining in my eyes. I frowned, and then noticed I was being dragged. I grumbled, and tilted my head back, to see Myla struggling a whole lot as she tried to drag me through the snow. I wriggled, and fell to the ground as she let me go.

"Are we still in Grafikos?" I asked, hissing as cold engulfed me. She raised her eyebrows at me, and placed her hands on her hips.

"Oh no," she said sarcastically, rolling her eyes, "we're obviously in the warm and sunny Diavolaki."

"Oh great," I huffed, looking around as I stood up shakily, "how do we get back to Kanonikos?"

I looked at her, she seemed nervous and a bit hurt. I sighed, and walked towards her, standing just in front of her.

"You okay?" I asked, tilting my head to side as I studied her. She looked away, a scar on her cheek glistening in the sun, tears springing in the one eye that I saw.

"I guess," she huffed, "I just found out I'm some high and mighty gift from the gods, and I'm super special."

I smiled at her, but with barely any enthusiasm. She watched me for a second, waiting to see if I had something to say, but I didn't. She looked away, a sigh puffing from her. The white of her hot breath clung to the cold air, almost like it was begging for mercy. Then, I had an idea.

"Myla, even without being a gift from the gods, you were already special. You helped us through this crazy crisis, even if you think not. You joined us right before the mid-life disaster arrived, and... you helped us," I smiled warmly as the honey-like words spilled from my mouth.

She turned back towards me and frowned, before bursting into loud and helpless chuckles. She bent over, clutching her stomach as she laughed. I started to awkwardly laugh with her , though I had no idea what was so funny.

"Um... hahaha I'm dying to know what is so funny here," I muttered, scratching the back of my neck as she sobered up.

"Sorry, its so weird seeing you try to be encouraging. I mean, you're always deadpanning people and telling them off. I've never exactly seen you... be nice," she chuckled, crossing her arms and shaking her head. I scowled at her, annoyance bristling through my whole anatomy,

"SEVEN STARS! Can you just let me be nice, and not point out what a bad person I am!"

---

We walked in silence for several hours and each time one of us tried to strike up a conversation it died before it could even start. I pursed my lips as we came to a dry spot of land. Myla continued on, while I stood there frozen to the frozen ground. She stopped a few feet in front of me, and turned around, giving me a small smile.

"This is the barrier to Kanonikos," she stated, motioning to the clear and shiny wall that stood there, barely visible to the eye of someone who wasn't look for it.

"Let's go," she said, turning around and stepping in. She disappeared, and I sighed, and then rushed forward and leapt into the barrier as well.

It swallowed me and spit me out on the other side. I collapsed onto the ground, face-first along with getting a large and disgusting mouthful of mud. I groaned, and spit it out, while I also blew through my nose in attempts of getting the mud of there out as well.

"What the heck?" Myla mumbled. She was staring out, where green drops were splattering onto the ground and then burned very small holes into the ground. We were protected by the large canopy of leaves above us.

"Acid rain," I mumbled, my eyes widening in realization. Had Chalicsha done this? How horrible was that woman? I mean, I guess she was a demon, but she to have a heart, right?

My eyes drifted over the land. The acid poured and seeped into the ground, the red sky blinking like a warning sign. A ranch sat there in the mist, it's white-washed walls covered with miniscule holes. In one of the windows stood a little girl, tears filling up her eyes and spilling down her rosy cheeks. I watched the wheat crops that stood outside their house, the smell of death drifting off it in a sickening banter.

I felt the gray waves of guilt crash over me as I watched the lan. I contained that demon and then released her into the world. She caused this, I caused this.

"I can tell you're blaming yourself for this," Myla sighed.

"Yeah?" I muttered, glancing at her bitterly,

"Well don't." Was all she said. I groaned, covering my face with my hands and leaned back. How could I not blame myself? I let Chalicsha back out into the world. Myla sighed, her eyes closed as she twiddled her thumbs together. She opened her eyes, the blue irises sparkling in the low light. She looked blissful somehow, despite the acid rain dripping through the canopy of leaves.

"The whole land is sick. Everyone has the horrible plague," she stated, her fingers twitching as she gazed at the white ranch house. I frowned, how could she feel the sickness that apparently swallowed the land?

"So... you feel this... how?" I queried, watching her through narrowed eyes.

"I've always felt sickness, I remember when I visited the village in the lake, and even before I fell into the lake, I could the terrifying sickness," she said, closing her eyes again and rubbing her temples.

"Well, don't we have a journal to find?' A very, very familiar masculine voice laughed.

I looked up, and my eyes widened in surprise.