Christmas EVE

Sebastian had been right

Sebastian had been right. As soon as she came into the dining room, Ciel announced that they would be returning to the country as soon as they finished eating. He had already ordered Sebastian to make the arrangements for their departure. She was happy to see that the Earl was back to his normal, bossy self, as though the night before had never happened.

The demon smirked while setting the red head's plate in front of her as if to say 'I told you so.'

Breakfast was mostly silent, Ciel was checking the paper for news of last night's arrest as he ate. He seemed to be a little embarrassed to look at Serena and she was happy to leave him be. They were interrupted by a knock on the front door. Both noticed the stiffness that surrounded the butler as Sebastian left them to answer it.

"Are you expecting someone?"

"Not that I'm aware of." Ciel took a sip of his tea and waited.

Sebastian came back in, a dangerous smile on his face.

"Serena. Ronald Knox has requested to speak to you."

"Isn't he a reaper?" She looked up as the demon pulled her chair back for her and held out a hand to help her stand.

"Indeed."

"Well, you're certainly not talking to him alone." The teen pushed away from his seat and stood. Serena was struck by the strangely protective tone from the usually cold Earl.

Ciel led the way into the salon. Ronald was looking at the various books that covered the shelves but turned when they entered. The reaper bowed with an easy smile and waited for everyone to take a seat.

"Now, I'm assuming that you come with some kind of message from your boss?" The Earl leaned back in his chair.

"Yes, I do. In light of recent events, the Reaper's Council wishes to give their apologies to Miss Serena, as well as the Elder of London for their failure to control the reaper Grell Sutcliff. His punishment is still being discussed, however Grell will be confined to the Council building itself until such time as a decision is reached. They also acknowledge the anti-demon sentiment that has become prevalent in the London offices and are looking into it as a possible situation to be diffused if necessary."

"That's nice." Serena said carefully. "I can't help but feel that there is more to it."

"Until such time as Miss Serena leaves London and the surrounding area, the Council has decided that they would rather be safe than sorry again and have assigned myself to be your personal bodyguard." Ronald dropped down to the other side of the sofa that Serena occupied with a bright smile.

"What?!"

Serena waved a hand to get everyone's attention.

"What exactly are your orders, word for word?"

"I'm supposed to move you and myself into the reaper's realm should Grell or any other reaper with the intent to harm you in any way appear. I'm one of the few that can carry another living being into our world. And even fewer have direct access to the Council Room." Ronald was all puffed up male pride until he deflated a little under Sebastian's glare. "But, I'm not to engage Sutcliff or any other, just move you out harm's way."