You were human before???

Sebastian kept his touching to a minimum as he finished washing his mate. The red head was unusually pliant and simply let him do whatever he wanted fir once. She watched the smirk that never left his face while concentrated on his task. When he had deemed her clean enough, the demon helped her from the bath and grabbed a towel from the rack nearby. He smiled up at her as he rubbed the cloth over her legs, soaking up all the water in its path.

Serena shook her head. "Let you touch a little skin and you couldn't be happier."

He stood with a smile and snapped the towel, now holding one of her favored nightshirts.

"Nifty." She reached out for the shirt but Sebastian snatched it back. Moving behind her, he slid one of the sleeves over her arm and maneuvered the other himself into the other sleeve. "You know, I can move my own arms."

"I'm sure you can." He leaned down and placed a kiss below her ear. The demon saw her roll her eyes as he came back to face her and started buttoning the shirt. When he finished, Sebastian picked her up again and carried her into his bedroom.

"I can walk too."

"I like to carry you. And I get to do whatever I like tonight, remember?" He laid her gently in the cool sheets and lifted the blanket over her. "You should sleep."

"I'm not ready to go to sleep." Still, Serena snuggled into the pillow and got comfortable on her side. She watched him move around the room, stoking the small fireplace, putting the items on the desk back where they had been before her snooping spree before taking off his shoes and sliding into the other side of the bed.

"Do you feel the same thing?" She ran her fingertips over his wrist.

"No. To me, your touch is...calming."

"Well, that doesn't sound very exciting." She frowned and pulled her hand back.

"To me, it is. I've spent a very long time perfecting my control, but it still takes concentration. Feeling any amount of calm takes concentration. To have it come so easily, is exciting and I crave it."

"Oh." The red head put her fingers back and noticed for the first time that he did relax a little. She smiled, running her hand over the soft skin still exposed from his rolled up sleeves. "So, what do you do every day?"

"You have seen what I do every day.

"Not here. What do you do every day when you're...you know?" She put two fingers into her hair, making little horns.

The demon laughed. "You never give up, do you?"

"Alright, fine. Then tell me something insignificant." Serena looked down at the hand she was touching. "Like, why are your fingernails black?"

"My fingernails?"

"Yeah. Am I going to find a bottle nail polish hidden around here?"

"No. They are naturally black."

"Naturally?"

"I know that Undertaker told you a little of demons." He waited for her nod. "When we started feeding on humans, other than what we had been given, all demons nails turned black. It was a sign of our corruption, so that the humans could identify us. Give them a sporting chance, I suppose. It's the one identifying feature that I cannot cover in my human form."

"So, gloves being in fashion are a good thing for you?"

"Quite."

"What else do you change, when you say human form? You don't, like, actually look like a goatman or something? Because, that might be a deal breaker."

"No." He laughed. "It always amazes me what you humans come up with. It really is just small changes. My hair is longer, my skin is more pale. You have seen the eyes and the fangs. My nails are longer, more claw-like. Our changes are more inside, when someone becomes a demon."

"Well, that's a little bit of a let down

"Well, that's a little bit of a let down."

"I do have wings."

"Wings? Okay, that's cool." She gasped. "Right, the feathers."

Sebastian nodded. "When a demon becomes an Elder, they grow wings."

"Like a status symbol?"

"I suppose you classify that way."

"I wanna see." Serena sat up, poking him in the side.

"Not right now. It takes a fair amount of power to change forms completely. My eyes change and teeth lengthen easily enough, but to shed the human guise entirely and then don it again, is exhausting."

She knew she was pouting. "Alright. We'll put that on a back burner for now. But, since I have you in such a forthcoming mood. Let me think of something else." She laid back down, looking at the ceiling as she thought. "Let's see, something that wouldn't affect your contract."

Her fingers snapped and she turned to face him again. "How does one become a demon?"

"Serena."

"Okay, okay. Obviously, you think that one may have some impact on your contract. Let me think." She backed off easily, knowing that if he really didn't want to tell her, she couldn't make him. Serena was also enjoying the talk in the darkened room and didn't want to upset him too much. "You said that demons don't have children."

"That is correct. We are made demons, not born."

"Then how did you become a demon?"

"Serena." The demon growled low in his chest.

"Oh, come on. How is that going to muck up your contract?" She watched him thinking it over. "You were human before, weren't you? That's why you don't want to tell me."