Unused to such an emotion....

Serena heard the door open and knew that it was Sebastian. She had drawn the lock when she came in and no one else could have opened it. The red head kept her back turned as he came to the bed, hiding her face in her pillow. She heard him moving about the room behind her, but she refused to look at him.

He could hear the soft sniffles from his mate as he came closer. The demon turned to tend the fireplace before slipping out of his coat and shoes. She still didn't turn when he put a knee on the bed and the mattress dipped with his weight.

"Serena."

She jerked away from the hand he laid on her shoulder.

"What?" The girl whispered in the soft darkness.

"Look at me." Sebastian pulled gently but she still refused to budge.

She sniffled. "You didn't want to see me."

"That was earlier."

"Well, now I don't want to see you."

The demon sighed, he could hear the pout in her voice. "I was too angry to come see you. I didn't trust myself."

"You wouldn't even let me explain." Her head lifted out of the pillow enough that she could look at him out of the corner of her eye.

"I know." Sebastian leaned closer, his hand moving down her arm as he laid his forehead on her shoulder. "It...frightened me to see you so close to Grell after what happened before. I am unused to such an emotion and I let it turn to anger. Something I'm more familiar with."

She finally turned to look at him. Sebastian brushed away the tear that was still below her eye.

"You scared me again."

"I know. That's why I didn't come up here. I let my Master say everything that I wanted to because I knew that he would walk away. I was so angry that I did not think that I could do the same."

"I don't like fighting with you," Serena admitted quietly.

"I don't like it either." His hand stayed cupping her cheek, thumb brushing over her skin. "Will you let me lay in your bed, my mate?"

Serena nodded and moved over. When he was beneath the blankets, she came closer and cuddled into his side. His hand stroked her hair as she laid her head on his chest.

"Ciel is still mad at me." She spoke into his shirt, not wanting to look up.

"My Master was frightened as well. He is rather attached to you."

"I expected you would have a problem with that." The red head played with one of his buttons that was close to her hand.

"We have already discussed it."

Serena laughed at the idea.

"I'm sorry, that I took off."

"Why did you go with the reapers, Serena?" Sebastian shifted to see her face but she kept her head against him, her hair hiding her from him.

Something in her gut told her that it wasn't the right time to tell him about her little encounter of the religious kind. She still needed to sort it out for herself and decide how to approach the subject so that he didn't think that she really had lost her marbles. "I needed to talk to Undertaker."

"I would have escorted you to see Undertaker."

"I needed to talk to him without you there."

"Why?" His hand tightened on her hip when he felt her start to pull away.

"Because of things you won't tell me."

"Undertaker cannot tell you anything about me either." Sebastian pulled her hair away from her face.

"No, but he can tell me about demons. Things that you haven't told me and they are things that I'm beginning to think are kind of important."

"I know that you need more of explanation. And I will give it to you."

"But not right now."

"But not right now." He agreed.

Serena yawned and shifted against him. "Why are you so much easier to talk to in the dark?"

"I was wondering the same thing."

Sebastian watched as his mate succumbed to the sweet abyss of sleep. He looked around the guest room that she used after the red head's breathing had evened out. While comfortable and elegant, it was also blank. It was a room intended to be used by anyone and showed it. There were nothing personal or even showing someone's personal taste.

The demon thought of the rooms that he had designated to house his mate at the very top of the tower he had built for his 'family'. They were much the same as this one; beautiful, everything of the highest quality, colors that were pleasing when paired together, but still blank. The rooms were still empty, waiting for someone to fill them.

He had changed them with each contract. Every time he returned home alone, he would spend hours, sometimes days, rearranging the furniture, changing the style and colors to reflect what was currently favored. The bookshelves were filled with tomes from the different places and times the demon had walked the world of man. The paintings that lined the walls never masters, but pieces that had caught his attention. Everything was created by his own powers, of course. He couldn't carry anything through the gate when he returned.

'Nothing but a mate.' Sebastian stroked her hair as he watched her sleep. 'The rooms will have to change again to suit Serena's taste.'

Plans formed and ideas ran rampant as the hours of night passed and gave way to the light of day.