After Math

Serena spent the rest of the day lost in her own thoughts. She had been coming down the stairs when Sebastian returned from his errands. The red head had stopped dead, expecting him to know what had happened in Ciel's room. He said nothing, only that she apparently had been spending time with his Master again. She had answered that they had been talking in his sitting room this morning. The demon seemed to take it at face value and went to answer the summons of his Master.

Now, they sat in the carriage going back to the manor. Soma and Agni had joined them, as the Prince was attending the Midfords' masquerade as well. He and Elizabeth chatted easily about the party and costumes while she and Ciel sat quietly. The Earl was looking through some of the things that had arrived just before they left. He would look up at Serena from time to time, gauging her mood. She just shook her head and stared out the window again. Sebastian's voice had appeared in her mind several times, but she just asked him to leave her be.

There was no relief at the sight of the large gates that led to the Phantomhive family home. As they descended the carriage, Soma and Elizabeth continued to talk, oblivious to the silence that engulfed their companions. Snake was there to open the doors and Ciel didn't notice the strained look on the footman's face or the fact that his hair was slicked back.

"There you are. Welcome home, Lord Phantomhive."

Everyone looked up to see Lady Francis waiting in the middle of the hall.

"Mother!" Lizzy ran to the older woman and pulled her into a hug. "What are you doing here?"

"I was sure that Lord Phantomhive had not prepared for the ball tomorrow and I brought a few old costumes for him to choose from." She looked down on her nephew.

"Actually, I already have a costume. Thank you for the thought, though." Ciel smiled at his aunt. "You really didn't have to make the trip."

"I wanted to see Lizzy as well. Do I need permission to visit my own daughter?"

"Not at all. Seeing as you're the one who sent her here." He waved her on.

"Perhaps we should discuss this in private. Or do you need to stay by Miss Serena again?"

"Of course not. My office will please you, Aunt?"

"After you."

Ciel led the way up the stairs as the others looked on.

"I'm going up to my room." Serena said as she walked to the stairs. "I'll see you all at dinner."