Detention Eavsdropping

Leah was snoring and drooling on her book as Oobleck gave a lecture on the Great War.  Personally I didn't find it interesting, but I had to get used to Oobleck.  After all...I have my detention with him tonight. 
     "Mr. Arc," he said, pointing to Jaune.  "Do you know what the faunus had to ruin the surprise attack?"  Jaune stuttered and I looked over at Pyrrha who was gesturing to her eyes.  I chuckled at Jaune's lack of knowledge.  Everyone knows all faunus have night vision...I hope so at least.  "Mr. Arc...?"
     "They had binoculars!"  He said, confidently.  I face palmed and slid my hand down my face.  How did this kid even get in here?  Professor Oobleck sighed.
     "Does anyone know?"  He asked, spreading his arms.  "Anyone?"  Pyrrha raised her hand.  "Miss Nikos...."
     "The General attacked at night and faunus have night vision," she said.  Oobleck smiled and gestured to Pyrrha.
     "Knowledge of history is not useless," he said.  "If you don't bother to learn history, you're doomed to repeat it."  He took a sip from his cup and I heard Cardin mumble something.  "Have you something to say, Mr. Winchester?  If I remember correctly you and Mr. Jennings have detention because you were being prejudiced against a faunus girl.  Don't forget, boys, six o'clock this evening...."  I sunk low in my chair but as one of tallest kids in the Academy it didn't work.  "Now, back to the lesson...!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(6:00 that evening)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     "Well gentlemen," Dr. Oobleck said.  "Here you are to serve your punishment."
     "Which would be...?"  Cardin inquired.  A wind ripped through my coat.  To be honest I expected to be organizing something for Oobleck, but here we stood in the courtyard. 
     "That'll be in a minute," the teacher replied.  "We are waiting on one more...here he is."  I turned around and my eyes grew.  That boy that I'd seen with Leah at the initiation was walking up to us.
     "You," I growled.
     "Hey Pipsqueak," he replied.  My fists clenched and I could feel heat accumulate around my hands.
     "You two know each other?"  Oobleck inquired.  I clenched my teeth before answering him.
     "Not personally," I said.  "I know Reese through association...."
     "An old friend of mine's on his team," Reese finished.  "We've never actually spoken to each other."  Dr. Oobleck pushed up his glasses.
     "Maybe now you can get more acquainted with each other," he told us.  "Now, come on."  He walked away, the slowest I've seen him move, and Reese fell into step beside me.  Just being in his presence seems to irk me and I barely know the guy.
     "So you're Andrew," he whispered, soft enough so only I could hear.  "You're the kid who broke the rules and chose your team name."
     "So what?"  I breathed back. 
     "So, you're close to my girl,"  He replied.  I looked at him with an eyebrow raised.  "You got Leah on your team."
     "Why do you care?"  I countered.  "She doesn't seem to like you very much.  I saw you at the initiation...have a nice fall?"  His lips curled into a smirk.
     "You saw that, huh?"  He asked.  I laughed under my breath.  "What's so funny?"
     "I'm the one who did it," I admitted.  "That little hole you tripped in wasn't there until I put it there.  I made you trip so that Leah could escape and come over to me...."  He grabbed a hold of my shoulders and pinned me against a tree.
     "Why you little," he began.  "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't...gaaahhhh!"  Electricity arched around my body and he let go.  I kicked him in the chest which knocked him to the ground.
     "Listen, Reese," I growled.  "I've got a few ground rules.  Number One, don't ever touch me.  Rule Number Two, never insult me.  It might just be the last thing you ever do.  Rule Number Three, take my threats and orders seriously."  He propped himself up on his elbows and glared up at me.
     "You little...," He began.  My right arm began to spark with electricity.
     "'You little' what?"  I jeered.  "Be careful, Reese, this might be you last night at Beacon...or Remnant."  Someone cleared their throat and I looked at Oobleck.
     "Mr. Jennings," he said.  "As much as you would love to kill Mr. Haver, you mustn't do that.  You risk expulsion and imprisonment...."  I looked at him and let the electricity die, walking after him as he left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(7:00 o'clock that evening)~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     I leaned against the wall outside our dorm, exhausted.  Oobleck had us clean his room, organize his papers, and then had us hunt and capture a Beowolf for Professor Port.  I was about to go inside and get to bed before I heard voices.  It sounded like Pyrrha and Jaune...on the roof. 
     I teleported up and hid to listen.
     "...faked my entrance," Jaune was saying.  Pyrrha gasped and Jaune looked ashamed of himself.  "Okay?  I cheated to get in here."  Pyrrha put a hand on his shoulder and he didn't shake it off. 
     It makes sense now.  A lot of us talked about where we went to school before Beacon but he never had any stories.  Also his inability to fight properly showed that he hasn't been trained.  Why'd he do it is the question....
     Pyrrha walked away and Cardin climbed up to the roof.
     "So you cheated your way in?"  He said, startling Jaune who turned around.  "I was in my dorm and I just couldn't help but overhear...."  I scoffed.  He just wants to have someone else to push around.  "You know I should go tell Glynda, or maybe Ozpin...."
     "Please don't," Jaune pleaded.  Cardin laughed and put an arm around Jaune's shoulders.
     "I'm not going to, old pal," he said.  "I'm just saying that I could.  All I want is a little something in return...."  Jaune looked at him.  "We've got that reading for Oobleck due and I'm sure that my old friend would do it for me...."  The hint in his voice was about as subtle as a Goliath in a dust processing factory.
     "Yeah," Jaune said.  "Sure...."
     "Great," Cardin said.  "I knew that I could count on you, old buddy...."  He left and so did Jaune, leaving me alone with my thoughts.  Cardin had Jaune under his thumb and no one else knows.  I feel like I should help but I don't really know Jaune that well.  I sighed and teleported to outside the dorm.  Another problem for another day.