Hard Times Ahead

I swung Shadow Strike onto my back and slipped my gauntlets into the bag I had packed along with some food and a change of clothes.  Isabel and Destiny had been avoiding me, saying that they were watching after Leah who was still asleep even though the sun was rising.  I honestly can't blame them.  Their team leader was walking out on them, but I would hope they will understand why I'm doing it when I come back to them.  Sure that I had nothing else to pack, I swung the pack over my shoulder and left the room.

     Isabel and Destiny were quietly chatting in the hall, not loud enough for me to hear, but I had a couple ideas what they were talking about.

     "So, you're really leaving?" Destiny asked.  I nodded and looked at Isabel.  She was fighting back tears and looked like she would like nothing better than to beat the crap out of me.  

     "You're such an idiot," she told me, barely speaking above a whisper.

     "I may be," I replied, "but I have to know...I have to find him and know everything about myself.  And when I do, who knows what the truth about me is...I'm trying to protect you...."  Isabel delivered a powerful slap to my face, knocking it to the side.  "I deserved that...."

     "Haven't you thought about what the rest of us want?"  she asked, tears starting to fall.  "What about all we've been through, Andrew?  What about her?"  I sable gestured to the door where Leah slept.  "I thought you cared about her...I thought you loved her...?"  I couldn't meet her gaze or answer her.  She slapped me again, knocking me the other way.  "Answer me...."

     "It's only because I do that I'm leaving," I said, finally looking at the two of them.  "I'm too dangerous to be here with all of you.  I'm going and there is nothing any of you could do to stop me...."  They didn't say anything.  "Until I come back, Leah's in charge.  I'll try to make contact if I can, but you are not, under any circumstances, going to come and find me...."  I held up a hand to silence them as they opened their mouths to protest.  "It's been a lot of fun being with you guys...I'm going to miss all of you."

     I pulled both of them in for a hug, feeling tears from Isabel, Destiny, and myself.  

     The golden light pulsed from me again as they pulled away, freezing in time.  I opened the door and went over to Leah, reaching into my coat and pulling out the letter I had made for her.  "I hope you can forgive me...I don't want to leave, but I must."  I set the letter on the table next to her, kissed her forehead and left, not only the room, but the house as well.  I took out my scroll as I started walking, letting time go back to normal and making a call.

      "Hello?"

      "Hi mom," I said.  

     "Andrew," my mom said.  "How are you, sweetie?  I thought you promised me you would call more."  That earned a weak smile from me.  Just like my mom...always caring about my promises.

     "Sorry," I answered.  "I've been busy with other things...."

     "Your father and I watched the tournament on television," she told me.  "You're really strong, much stronger than I think we ever knew...."  I stopped walking and couldn't say anything.  "Is there something you want to talk about?"

     "I'm coming home, mom," I told her.  It earned and excited squeal from her, but I wasn't going to tell her why until I actually got home.

      "It'll be good to see you," she said, still giggling in her excitement.  "You'll have to tell your father and I everything that happened at school...."  I don't think I could...not like I'll be there long enough to answer their questions.  "Get home safe."

      "I will," I told her.  "Love you."  I put the scroll back in my pocket and continued walking.  There should be a train station somewhere.  

     I sat opposite a kid who had an empty burlap sack, and wearing mud-caked books and orange gloves.  He almost sat on the edge of the seat, his hands resting beside his legs.  He probably doesn't have a care in the world...just living out in the country with his parents and helping on their farm.  He might not even realize how lucky he is.

     "Where're you headed?"  he asked.  I looked around, wondering if he was talking to me.

     "Home," I answered.  "I'm just...going home...."  

     "Same," he replied.  "It's always good to go where you know you'll be safe."  I smirked.  "What's so funny?"

     "Safety," I told him.  "In my line of work, safety isn't in the job description...."  I pulled aside my coat to show him my compacted sword and his eyes grew in surprise and wonder.

     "You're a huntsman," he breathed.  I shook my head as I hid the blade again.

     "Not officially," I explained.  "I was only in my first year at Beacon before it...."  My voice tailed away but this guy looked like he wanted to ask what happened at the school, and I felt that I had to tell someone before I got home.  "You might want to sit back, kid...it's a long story and a long ride...."