Asking

I can't believe we're having another dance....  After what happened last time...well...you could say that I'm a little uneasy.  Isabel may seem to have given me up, Destiny could care less, but I think that Leah might want me to ask her.  Not afraid to face Grimm outnumbering me twenty to one but deathly afraid of asking a girl to a dance.  At least my priorities are in the right place, right?  Normally I would've spent my free time trying to see what the exchange students were up to, but this drove me to just wander the halls alone.  It was actually on one such occasion that I had an idea who I would ask.
     I was walking, a little briskly, and thinking about things when someone ran into me.  We both fell to the ground on our backs, and I was about to berate whoever it was before I saw a black hair bow and golden eyes.
     "Blake,"  I said, startled.  "Sorry, I wasn't watching where I was going."  The books she was carrying had fallen to the floor and I was helping her pick them up.
     "It's fine," she replied.  "I wasn't looking either."  I noticed bags under her eyes and immediately wondered what was up.  I didn't ask however, not everyone enjoys people asking if they're okay.  "Thanks Andrew."  As she walked away I noticed a small book that had skittered away.  I picked it up, planning on running after Blake to give it back to her, but then I saw the title.

Ninjas of Love

     I, slightly ashamed that I can say it, know this book and read it only a short while ago.  Why would she be reading it...ah.  The world is trying to remind me of something that I'd forgotten a long time ago. 

     I slipped the book into my bag and tried not to look suspicious.  I'm sure that Blake will eventually want her book back...fortune smiles on me today.

     "I'll be back in a second,"  I told the girls, trying to hide the book.

     "Where're you going?"  Isabel asked, trying to see what I had in my hand. 

     "Out," I said, a little curtly, and then I left.  I kept both hands on the book behind my back and popped my shoulders as I walked to team RWBY's dorm.  I knocked on the door and waited patiently.

     "What do you want?"  Weiss answered the door, a grumpy expression on her face.

     "Hello to you too," I replied.  "Is Blake in there.  I have something for her...."  Blake poked her head out from her bunk and looked at me.  Seeming to recognize me, she jumped down and walked over to me, changing places with Weiss.  I pulled out her book from behind my back and she looked at it with surprise.  If I'm right I might have seen her cheeks grow a little pink. 

     "Where did you...?"  She began.  I pressed the book into her hands.

     "You dropped it when we were talking earlier," I explained.  "I thought you might want it back...."  She took it and smiled at me.

     "Thanks, Andrew," she said, turning back.  On impulse I grabbed the hand that wasn't clutching her book.  She turned back to look at me, a little surprised.  "What?"

     "There's actually something I wanted to ask you," I admitted.  "You mind coming out here?"  I led her out into the hall and took a deep breath.  "Youwanngotothedancewitme?"  I swore under my breath and my rushing.

     "Excuse me?" Blake asked, confused.

     "Do you want to go to the dance with me?"  I asked, talking normal.  She looked at me with a genuinely sympathetic face. 
     "I'm not going," she said.  "I'm really sorry Andrew, but I don't have time for a dance."  I tried not to show how much my heart was breaking, and did a pretty good job.
     "Sure," I said, flatly.  "Not a problem.  Dances aren't your thing, I get that.  See you, Blake."  I left her standing in the doorway, hands deep in my pockets and my hopes shattered.