Internships and a Request

Andrew

     "So what do you all want to do for this?"  I asked the girls.  Students go on internships to get a little field experience before actually becoming Huntsman and Huntresses.  We've got a lot of choices, ranging from deadly recon missions (not available to our year) to patrols around the little hamlets and villages.  Of course we'll probably just find someone out in the villages to run around with.  We're not really much into rule-breaking...anymore anyway.  

     "What about this?" Isabel suggested, pointing to an option.  It was a run-of-the-mill patrol with a Huntress who'd graduated with my parents.  She'd hopefully know who I am so it could be really fun.  

     "That looks pretty good," Destiny said.  "We're probably more likely to have more experience going out of the city...unlike some people."  We all looked over at Sun and Neptune who were flashing junior detective badges.  

     "Sun can handle himself outside city walls," I muttered.  "It's more Neptune I'm concerned with.  He's afraid of water, you know?"  We turned back to the screen, and I folded my arms.  "So we all agreed on this one?  Just a routine patrol around a little village?"

     "Yeah," Destiny said.  "What's the worst that could happen?"  I looked at her.

     "Don't tempt fate, Des," I told her.  "You never know what happens with Grimm...unless, of course, you are a Grimm I suppose."  I typed in our team for this job and turned to walk away before I heard someone speak.

     "Excuse me, Andrew, can you come here for a moment?"  Ozpin was walking among the students and had a serious expression on his face.  

     "Uh, sure Headmaster," I replied, looking at the girls.  I followed Ozpin away from the other teams and he stopped next to the tower.  "What do you want, Headmaster?  Have I done something wrong?"

     "No," he said.  "No, I'm not giving you a detention or expelling you.  I have a job for you."  He took a long sip from his mug before continuing. "Team R.W.B.Y. has signed up to go to the southeast to one of Vale's failed city's.  I'm sending Oobleck with them to keep them safe, but I would feel better if someone...less hyperactive followed them."  He looked at me over the rim of his mug.

     "Sir, I'm not sure I get what you're asking," I admitted.

     "I want you to follow them," he said.  There was a moment of silence for a second before I started laughing.

     "That's really funny, professor," I chuckled.  "Oh, man...but seriously, what did you want?"  He kept looking at me with that small smile across his face, and my mind finally caught up to the notion that he's not joking.  "Ozpin, you can't be serious...."

     "I am," he said.  "I trust you not only to take care of yourself, but also to help them take care of themselves."

     "I'm just a first year though," I pleaded.  "I thought that my year weren't allowed to go down there anyway.  How'd they get the okay to go?"

     "I've chosen to allow it because I know what they're up to," he said.  "Let me put this another way.  You are one of the strongest and best Huntsmen of your year, even rivaling Miss Nikos, but she is better with her team.  You are going to follow them, just in case things go badly.  Dr. Oobleck is a strong fighter, but he is a little more of an academic than a warrior sometimes...."  I looked into his eyes and saw that there was no way of getting out of this.

     "When do they leave?"  I asked.

     "Tomorrow at seven," Ozpin said, handing me a little Beacon pin.  "Oobleck will have another one so that you can keep track of him and vise versa.  There'll be an app on your scroll come tomorrow morning.  Just remember that they must not see you...is that clear?"  I gave him a quick and nod, and he smiled as he walked away to continue walking among the students.

      "Professor!" I called after him.  "Can I tell the rest of my team about this, because we've already decided what we're going to do...."  He looked over his shoulder and thought about it for a second.

      "I don't see why not," he said.  "Just make sure that they understand that you won't be with them when they leave.  Also, you can still contact them while out in the field, I suppose...."