Signing Up for a Distraction

Isabel

     Andrew spent most of the morning sleeping.  We all did, considering that we all pulled an all-nighter that only Andrew saw anything of.  He always talks in his sleep but this time was different.  He kept muttering about who he was and 'What did she mean?'  among other things.  I didn't want to disturb him and wake him up, but it was really strange.
     When we were all rested enough to function we left the dorms and walked around the campus, talking about what'd happened last night.
     "What's Roman Torchwick doing here?"  Destiny asked, curiously.  "And what does he want Dust for?"
     "Every color of Dust has its uses,"  Andrew said, pulling aside his coat to show the bullets he used.  "Personally I'm more partial to using gravity, shadow, and lightning but I'm not above using other types.  Let me tell you though, Dust bullets are a pain in the neck to make and carry around...."  He fell into a cold kind of silence and I knew what he was thinking.
     "You still want to know who that girl was," I said.  "I can see it in your eyes."  He looked away but I knew that he just doesn't want to face the truth.  "I doubt that anyone but Roman's henchmen and himself know who she is.  Unless you plan to kidnap Torchwick, you need to let it go."  No response.  "Come on, Andrew, there's got to be something to interest you as a distraction." 
     We all looked around the immediate area, looking for anything that would distract Andrew.  Destiny found something first.
     "Check this out."  She was holding a piece of paper that seven golden items all around the words on it.

Yu-gi-oh Tournament

Think you have a deck that can take on anyone?
Are you a brilliant strategist?
Join us on Friday for a series of duels
The winner will be given a trophy and a special prize
Come out and show us your skill

"Don't you play, Andrew?"
     "Yeah," he replied, smiling.  "Yeah, I do.  I'm actually pretty good...."  He looked to see where the sign-ups were going to be and I saw the manic look return to his eye.  "I'm going to go for it.  Shouldn't be too hard to win...." 
     "You can do it," Leah encouraged. 
     "Just don't mess up," Destiny joked.  I didn't say anything.  Truth be told I'm planning on entering.  I haven't played regularly for a while, but I'm still good.  My deck's a bunch of fairy's and toons but they can really win if I get the right cards.
     "'Only first generation decks allowed',"  Andrew read.  "Lucky me those are the only cards I really use.  What's that look for Isabel?" 
     "Huh?"  I stammered, coming out of my thoughts.  "Just thinking.  You'll do great Andrew...I know you will."  He gave me a raised eyebrow but seemed to let it drop.  "So when do sign-ups start?"
     "I can sign up now if I wanted to," he replied, looking over the flier again.  "Yeah, sign-ups start today in the ball room."  He teleported away and Leah looked at me.
     "You're going to enter, aren't you?"  She asked.
     "Sure I am," I answered.  "You know how good I am.  Andrew's going to be a little tricky though...."  I was thinking about what kind of monsters he might have.  Probably a lot of really strong and tricky monsters.  His spells and traps are probably really trolly and really good.  This'll either be really good or really bad.  "I'll sign up later this evening, tell him that I'm heading out for a walk or something...." 
     "So you're not worried that he'll follow you?"  Destiny inquired.  I shrugged.
     "I'm terrified," I admitted, "but I kinda got a secret weapon."  I looked at Leah.  "You think you can distract him 'til I get back?" 
     "How far do you want me to go?"  I asked.  "If you want me to do what I did to Arthur Pensworth then forget about it...."  Destiny had no idea what she meant, but I smirked at her.
     "No, not if you don't have to," I told her.  "Just try to keep him busy even if it does come to that."  She looked a little more enthusiastic about this now and Destiny folded her arms across her chest.
     "So a trading card tournament is what it takes for you two to make up?"  Leah and I both turned pink but didn't say anything.  Not our finest moments but that's behind us now.  Best friends forever isn't just something you say evidently.... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(later that evening)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     "I'll be back in a little bit," I said.
     "And where do you think you're going?"  Andrew asked, looking over the top of his book.  He looked at me with a piercing gaze and he set his book down.
     "I'm just going to go for a walk around," I said.  "Just need some fresh air...."  He was about to get out of his chair before Leah grabbed his arm.
     "Oh, come on, Andrew," she said.  "You know she likes to walk around...."  He looked at her with the same piercing gaze as he had given me, and looked between me and her. 
     "What are you two up to?"  He asked, suspiciously. 
     "What do you mean?"  I replied, trying to look innocent.
     "You two are trying to get me to stay here," he stated.  "Maybe I'm just paranoid, but there's a good chance that I'm not.  Whatever you two are planning, let me tell you two something...."  Whatever he was going to say was interrupted my Leah slapping him upside the head with his book.  Andrew's eyes rolled upwards in his head and he collapsed to the floor. 
     "Leah!"  Destiny screeched.  "Do you know how hard you just him?"  Leah turned pink.
     "It wasn't my first idea," she said.  "Just what I knew that would work....  The first option was a gamble."  I knew what she meant and pushed down my emotions.  I tried to push my feelings down.  To be honest, I've been trying to get over him these past few weeks, let someone try their luck.  Whoever gets him, though, I hope they can deal with his insanity.  "Hurry up!  I don't know how long he'll be out for...!" 
     I bolted out the door and down to the ball room.  Ozpin and Glynda were sitting at a table and watched as I came to a halt in front of them.
     "Am...I...too late for...sign ups?"  I panted.  Glenda handed me a pen and I signed my name for the tournament. 
     "You're going to need this," Ozpin said.  He pulled out a large golden key on a rope that was evidently supposed to be worn around the neck.  "A badge of sorts for your entering...."
     "Many people sign up?"  I asked. 
     "Sign ups end at midnight tomorrow and we have ten, counting you," Ozpin answered.  "We won't have many people enter but the whole school will show up to the matches of course...."  Seeing the circles under his eyes and his empty coffee mug, I left them to go back to the dorm.
     "'Bout time you came back."  Destiny whispered.  Andrew had been lifted onto his bunk, and the blonde hairs stuck to his clothes told me that Yang had put him there.  "You in?"  I held up the golden ahnk-shaped key.
     "Ozpin said that it was my 'badge',"  I replied.  "Hopefully Andrew'll take it easy on me if we duel together."