Advice and Understanding

The sun hid behind some clouds as I walked into the main city, hands deep in my pockets and my head hung low.  People were just starting to wake up and moving around.  A woman opened her windows and watered and pruned some plants that sat on her window sill.  I stopped for a moment, watching her careful movements, making sure that she didn't cut any of the actual plant.  She caught me watching, smiled, picked one of the blossoms and offered it to me.
     "I'm fine," I muttered, but I didn't move away.  Instead I walked up to her.  "What flower is that, actually?"
     "It's more commonly known as the Peace Petal,"  she explained, still offering it to me.  "Legend says that it can soothe even the most ravaged soul, heal the most destroyed relationships, and even keep one safe from trouble...."  I raised an eyebrow and was about to walk away before she pushed the flower into my hand.  "It's a good omen for a young Huntsman to carry one...."  I was about to protest before I saw the look in her eyes.  She reminded me of days when I was younger and my mom said that everything'd be alright and maybe hand me a cookie.
     "Thank you, madam," I said, bowing slightly.  She smiled and I turned and continued my walk.  The plant in my hand glowed softly in the dim light of the day.  It piqued my interest.  Another rumor is that it smells different to everyone...what they're attracted to and what calms them.  Making sure that no one was looking, I lifted the pale petals to my nose and sniffed.
     Immediately, my nose was assailed with the scent of black roses, a new book, and the dank smell of a cave.  A smile danced its way across my face without me noticing, but I don't care.  I needed a reason to smile after last night.
     "HEY, ANDREW!"  I almost dropped the Peace Petal at the exclamation.  I turned around to see Yang walking, almost running up to me.  She had a smile on her face and her blonde away flapped as she ran. 
     "Morning, Yang,"  I said, tucking the flower into the breast pocket of my coat.  Her eyes lingered on it for a moment before looking at me.
     "What's that?"  She asked, nodding to the accessory.
     "A Peace Petal," I told her.  "Rumor has it that these little plants and calm down a troubled spirit...."
     "Well, it looks nice," she complimented, "but why...?"  Her voice taled away.  It seemed that my expression said everything for me.  "So what are doing out here?"
     "I'm going out to this place I know," I admitted.  "You wanna come with?"  An understanding smile extended across her face.
     "Sure, Andrew.  What are friends for?" 

     She let me lead the way to this little bar that I didn't frequent but wasn't a stranger to.  I held open the door for Yang and followed her up to the bar.
     "Andrew," the bartender, Felix, said while smiling.  "Been a while since I seen you in here.  How's school going?"
     "Fine," I replied dryly.  "My usual, if you don't mind...."  He nodded and looked at Yang.
     "I'll have whatever he's having."  Felix reached under the bar and pulled out two tall, glass mugs.  He then pulled out two cans and popped the tabs, allowing the clear drink to flow into them.  My go-to pick-me-up...Sprite.  I nodded thanks and Felix walked off to serve someone who'd just walked in.
     For a minute, Yang and I just sat in silence, drinking our soda before she spoke.  "So what happened?" 
     "Any particular reason you want to know?"  I replied, putting the glass to my lips.  She didn't say anything but I saw the concern in her eyes and put it back down.  "At the Halloween party, Isabel pulled me aside.  Said she wanted to talk to me about something...."  Yang grinned at me.
     "Nice costume, by the way."  I looked at myself and noticed that I was still wearing my costume from last night; minus the wig, duel-disk, and millennium rod.  "Looks good on you...."
     "Thanks," I muttered.  "Anyway, she fed me this story about how she couldn't figure out how to tell a guy she liked that she loved him.  Asked me for some advice, which I gave the best I could, and then she kissed me...."  I paused to take a drink and Yang to say something.  She didn't and took a sip herself.  "I didn't really feel anything from the contact, but evidently Leah saw.  It was probably the fact that my eyes were closed that made her think I was enjoying it." 
     "Well, Leah ran away and Sun told me that he'd seen her crying and I went off to find her.  She didn't believe me when I told her that I didn't know what was going on, so I went back to the dorm.  Isabel took my reaction as that Leah had hurt me and went to go find her."  I said and only vaguely realized that Felix had refilled my glass.  "When I figured out what'd happened, I ran after Isabel to find her and Leah yelling at each other.  Both had their weapons out and Leah jumped at Isabel but she knocked Leah unconscious."  I took a deep breath and another sip before continuing.
     "I confronted Isabel and when she told me that she did it for us I...I sort of lost it."
     "What'd you do?"  Yang asked.  I was, admittedly, dreading my answer.
     "I walked up to her and I...," I choked a little before my next words, "I slapped her."  I didn't look at Yang but I could feel the surprise in her eyes.  "I've never struck anyone I consider close to me before.  It's just...not who I am."  I looked at Yang.  "What's happening to me?"
     "That's simple," a gruff voice said from down the bar.  "It's the stress of being a leader."  The guy was kind of lanky, with black hair, a little stubble and a ragged red cape.  He had a huge sword beside him and I instantly recognized him.
     "Qrow?"  I asked.  He downed a shot of whiskey and smiled at me.
     "Sounds like it hasn't been so good for you, eh Andrew?"  He asked.  I stared into my own glass as he dropped some lien on the bar and came over.  "Listen, I wasn't the leader of my own team when I was at Beacon, but I kind of understand from being a teacher at Signal.  It ain't easy being a leader, kid.  Just ask Ruby or that Jaune kid."  I kept my mouth shut about what I knew about Jaune. 
     It wasn't my place to say anything.
     "Thanks for the advice Qrow," I muttered.  "You always knew how to cheer me up.  Anyone broken my record at Signal yet?"  He shook his head and I smiled.  At least something was going for me.
     "Well, I've got to get going," he said.  "Have a nice three or however many years you two have left.  Tell Ruby I said hi...."  With that he walked out, sword over his shoulder. 
     "Still always drunk," I said to no one in particular.  Yang chuckled.
     "So now that my uncle's cheered you up," she said.  "What are you going to do?"  I finished my glass payed for both our drinks, and stood up.  To be honest, I've got no clue. 
     "Ah, you know," I began, "train, study, ace my classes, stop any drama from starting."  A sudden thought struck me, something I hadn't thought for months.  "What about Blake?"
     "What about her?"  Yang asked, standing up too.  I hadn't realized how much taller I was than her, but she was still pretty tall. 
     "If she's not too busy," I said.  "The rest of my team knows that I've kinda got a thing for her.  It's been the subject of quite a few jokes...."  Yang's smile was kind of sweet but also a little pitying.  "I haven't got a chance have I?"
     "No," she admitted.  "She's become a little...obsessed about something at the moment...."  I nodded to show my understanding and left her there.  Why do girls have to be so complicated...?  It's easier to explain the anatomy of a King Taijitu....