An Unexpected Turn of Events

It's very rare that the team separates, but when break started we headed for different places; Leah was up in the dorm, reading a book that Blake had let her borrow, and Destiny was visiting a cousin in the city.  I've got no idea what Isabel's up to but I'm sure that she can handle herself.  Whatever the others were doing, I was just wandering around the city, just looking for somewhere to go.  Of course I'm armed in case the need arises but I haven't seen anything to use it for...yet.
     "Psst."  I stopped and looked around.  "Hey, kid...."  A man was standing at the entrance to an alley wearing a long brown coat. 
     "Me?"  I asked.
     "If you're Andrew Jennings, then yeah," he replied.  "I'm from a friend...more like a friend of your father's."  That peaked my interest.  I followed him into the alley and he handed me an envelope.  "This needs to be delivered to Ozpin.  You run into him regularly, right?"
     "Who's it from?"  I asked, putting the letter in my pocket.  The neat handwriting on the front looked familiar but all it said was 'To Prof. Ozpin'. 
     "She said her name was Sarah or something," the guy said.  "She told me he knew your dad and mom back in the day."  It scratched his chin.  "Also said that he gave you your first bike when you were seven."
     "Yeah, that's Sarah," I replied, turning to leave.  "Did she say why I had to get it to Ozpin?"  The guy shook his head, thrust his hands deep in his pockets and walked the opposite direction.  Sarah was on Team TLOS before my parents had me and stayed home to raise me.  She was a really nice woman and it was actually sort of because of her that I decided to go to Signal and start my Huntsman training. 
     Lost in my thoughts, I ran into someone which knocked us both to the sidewalk.  "Terribly sorry, I wasn't...."  When I actually looked at the girl I'd knocked down I realized, with a little surprise, that it was Isabel.  "So this is where you went?"  I stood up, dusted myself off, and offered her a hand.
     "Seems like we had the same idea," she replied, taking my hand and pulling herself up.  "So what are you doing down here in the city?  Couldn't find any other nerds to hang out with?"  I grinned at her.
     "It's not a bad place to come if you ever just need to calm down," I said.  As if on que, a faunus with a wolf's tail came running by.
     "Catch that rapscallion!"  An old sailor yelled.  "You two!  You're from the school, right?"  I nodded.  "Then go catch him!"  Knowing that we wouldn't get a straight answer if we asked why, we raced after the wolf.
     "Hey you!"  I called.  "Hold up a second!"
     "So you can take me back to that old crow?"  He replied, looking over his shoulder.  "Not a chance, Huntsman!"  I jumped into the air and brought my fists onto the ground, using my semblance to crack the earth between his legs and trip him up.  The crack sealed itself and the earth covered his feet to his ankles.  "Hey, what'd I do, mate?  I've done nothing wrong...."
     "If you don't cooperate I'll get you for running from me," I told him, sternly.  "The earth should be loose enough to where you can stand...."  He stood up and looked at me, a little confused.  "You got a name or do I just have to call you punk or Fido?"
     "Matthew," he said.  "Matthew Criedwolf...."  I nodded.
     "So why'd you run, Matt?" I inquired.  "If you don't mind me calling you Matt."  He still looked at us in astonishment.  I was wondering if he was intimidated by us or was in awe of my compassion.
     "Are you still a student, mate?"  He asked.  I nodded.
     "We both are," I replied.  "You haven't answered my question though.  What brings you to Vale?"  If he could have he probably would be shuffling on his feet.
     "I'm from Menagerie," he said.  "You know, the place that the human's gave to faunus to live."  I nodded and he continued.  "It's crowded there and I wanted to find a new life somewhere else.  I heard about how faunus weren't treated to poorly here in Vale, but I couldn't pay for a ride here so I snuck onto that old buzzard's ship and came here."  He sighed and looked at the ground.  He looked older than me but right now he looked like a little kid who'd been caught with his hand in a cookie jar.  "You're going to throw me back to Menagerie, aren't you?"  I looked back at Isabel who seemed to know what I was thinking and gestured for me to go on.
     "No," I told him.  "You can stay here.  Maybe we can get you a place up at the school.  I'm sure that Ozpin will let you stay."  Matt looked at me and I smiled.  "Sorry if the rock's a little uncomfortable.  I haven't quite learned how to make it smooth enough to keep you comfortable and in place."  I forced the earth back into the ground and repaired the damage.
     "So you're just letting me go?"  He said.  "No catch or gimmicks?"  I shook my head.
     "Halloween may be a few weeks away but I haven't even started my tricks," I told him, my lips curling into an evil smirk.  He smiled back and I held out my hand.  "Try not to get into too much trouble, eh?  I'd rather not have to take you in...."  He shook my hand and walked away, hands in the pockets of his coat. 
     "Did you get 'im?"  The old sailor asked, rushing towards us.  I nodded.  "Where is he?"
     "Gone," I said, flatly.  The old man almost fell over at my response.
     "You let him go?" He asked, shocked.  "I thought that it was part of your Huntsman's Code or something like that."  I looked at him dead in the eye.
     "He did nothing wrong and no one was hurt," I told him.  "I'm only supposed to take someone in if they have brought harm to another.  He just wants to live here in Vale.  Don't argue with me."  He had opened his mouth to speak but shut it quickly.  "I caught him like you asked before passing judgement.  Good evening to you sir.  Come on Isabel."
     We walked away together, further into the city and I let out a long sigh.  "People like that old bat get on my nerves.  Wasting the valuable time of a Huntsman in training...."
     "You need something to calm down," Isabel said.  "Coffee?"  I stopped and looked at her.  "What?"
     "Are you trying to ask me out?"  I asked.  She turned a violent shade of red and looked away from me. 
     "N-n-no," she stuttered.  "I-I just thought it would get you calm before we went back.  That's all, I promise...."  I felt a little heat rise to my cheeks as I smiled.
     "Come on," I said.  "My treat, though I have to admit, I prefer tea over coffee...." 

     We sat at a small cafe that had a beautiful view and watched the sun set over the horizon.  The dying light of the Sun sparkled in Isabel's eyes, turning them venom green.  I don't know about her but this felt kind of romantic.  Isabel probably didn't feel Anything but my feelings were mixed about her.  We're good friends but she is a beautiful girl but I don't know if Leah would take it very well....
     "What are you staring at?"  She asked, catching my eye.  I hadn't realized that I was staring and turned pink.
     "N-nothing," I stammered.  I looked into my cup and took another sip, draining it.  I could feel her looking at me as I set some lien on the table to pay.  "Let's get back to the dorm."
     "Yeah," she said, standing up and shivering as a breeze blew past.  Without saying anything I took off my coat and wrapped it around her shoulders.  "Thanks Andrew...but what about you?" 
     "I'll be fine," I told her.  "I don't mind the cold...."  She smiled and we set off.  Lucky me that she doesn't know that my fire control also extends to heat....  We walked back to the dorm in silence but I swear that she was sneaking glances at me.  If I'm honest...I stole a few glances at her as well....