A New Member of the Team

Destiny

     Andrew was lounging on his bed, nose buried in a book as it always was.  Isabel's gone out to see if anything had come for any of us.  Leah was finishing up an essay for Oobleck but didn't seem to be able to find what she needed to say.  Doesn't help that Andrew's sub-consciously making the lights flicker on and off.  Not sure if it's his controlling electricity or light, but it was annoying Leah either way.  

     "Do you mind?"  she seethed, glaring up at him.  Andrew looked up from his book and saw that the lights were dim.

     "Sorry," he said, waving a hand and restoring the lights to full brightness.  "Just a really boring stretch of history."  

     "Well can't you just skim over it or something?"  She asked.  Andrew stuck his tongue out at her and she did the same.  I swear those two are just a pair of little kids sometimes.  He does something that he doesn't know he's doing, she gets onto him for it, and they bicker for a little bit.  I would've thought they'd be different after what I saw a the dance.

     "Excuse me if I'm a perfectionist," Andrew snapped back.  "And if my powers are bothering you then maybe you can just...."

     "Mail," Isabel interrupted, coming in carrying a few letters on top of a rather large package.  "The box's for you, Andrew.  I don't know what's in it but...it's, uh, mewling...."  Andrew and Leah immediately stopped their little spat and he jumped down from his bunk to take the package from Isabel.  He set the package on the floor and we all gathered around it.

     "It's from home," he said.  "And if it's meowing...." He used one of his hidden blades to slice open the tape.  A little circle of white and gray was curled up in the middle of the box, and it raised its head, looked at us with bright green eyes, and meowed.  "Gizmo....?"  The cat meowed again, raced up Andrew's arm to sit on his shoulder, and started butting his head against Andrew's face.  "What are you doing here?  I thought you were at home...."  

     "Your parents sent your cat?"  Leah asked.

     "In the mail?"  Leah continued.

     "Don't worry, this actually is sort of a family tradition,"  Andrew said, standing up.  "My grandma sent my dad's snake to him while he was in school.  You can imagine the shock of a four foot long snake appearing in the mail...."  We were all still looking at Gizmo, who was washing his face and looking around the room.

     "Yeah," I said," we can imagine...."  Andrew took his cat off his shoulder and put it on his bunk where he curled back up.  

     "Don't worry, I'll take care of him," he said, still smiling.  "He is my cat, after all...."  Well...great, we've got a mascot.  At least it's a sort of majestic creature...sort of.