The Dance

I looked a myself in the mirror, admiring my tuxedo. Shame that I'll probably only wear one. My family's kinda rich, and we're invited to fancy parties, but we rarely ever go. We don't flont our wealth and we don't like people who do...cough, cough Weiss. This is one of the only times that I show off.
     The suit and pants were made of a smooth and shiny fabric, and the dress shirt was a bright, clean white. My bow tie ('cause bow ties are cool) was royal blue, but that's not the best part. The best part...is that I have coat tails.
     "You look like a grasshopper." Leah had come out of the bathroom wearing a royal blue dress and two strands of hair curling down the sides of her face.  She'd borrowed Isabel's mascara and some of Destiny's blue eye-shadow.  Even I've got to admit, she looks really pretty...might even go as far as to say she's beautiful.
     "If I do, then let it be,"  I told her, turning around and putting a hand half way in my pocket.  "I like coat tails, thank you very much."
     "Well evidently you can't keep a tie straight," she said, walking up to me.  "Here, let me help."  She rearranged my bow tie but spent a little more time close to me.  To be honest, I don't mind....  "We should be going...."
     "Yeah," I said, a little hurriedly, using wind to flip my fedora onto my head from the desk, and grabbing my cane.  "Come on, let's go find the others...."

     "We're going to be late," Isabel said.  I smiled and chuckled a little.  She had on a black dress with a slit up one side, and Destiny chose just a plane silver dress.  "You know what, scratch that, we are late!"
     "That's the point," I told her.  "We each, as far as I'm aware of, have our own names for ourselves but Team Nightwatch needs a reputation.  Besides, we're not late...we're fashionably late...."  Isabel rolled her eyes at me but Destiny and Leah giggled a little.  "Come on, ladies.  We've got a party to attend.

     The doors opened for us as we approached them and the dance was already in full swing.
     "Took you four long enough," Yang said, standing at a podium.
     "Sorry, Yang," I replied.  "We were just enjoying the night...."  Isabel scoffed but I threw her a look over my shoulder.
     "Better late than never," she smiled.  "Hope you all have a good time."  I led the way to a table at the edge of the room and looked at the girls.
     "Alright," I told them.  "I've only got one order for you three tonight, and that is...have fun." 
     "What?"  Isabel asked.  "What did you say?"
     "Have fun," I repeated.  "Dance, flirt, hang out with friends.  Just take it easy."
     "What're you going to do?" Destiny asked.  I shrugged.
     "Be socially awkward," I told her.  "Maybe dance a little....  Who knows, may be that we find somethings out about each other or our classmates."  I smiled a little sadly at them and went to walk to another wall when Ren walked up to me.

     "Hello," he said, handing me a glass of punch.  

     "Cheers," I said, taking the drink.  We stood in silence for a little bit, drinking the punch and watching the dancers on the floor.  "You here with Nora, I'm guessing?"

     "Yep," he replied.  "I thought you were here with Blake...."  I shook my head.

     "She said she wasn't coming," I told him.  "Best to go stag sometimes, really.  Free to dance with whomever I feel like dancing with...."  Ren could probably see through that lie, and I had no doubt that he had.

      "She's over there, you know," He gestured across the hall to where Blake stood in a little black dress.  She looked really good, but was a little like me: not there with anyone and willing to be with anyone.  "It's really obvious that you like her."  I shrugged.  Can't argue when he's right.

     "It's less obvious if she likes me, though," I said, still looking at her.  "You think I could've had a chance with her, Ren?"  It's a really childish question, almost like I passed her a note in class with a check box saying 'Like me? Yes or No?'.  I don't think Ren was judging me for my question, but then again I can't tell what he's feeling half the time.