The Beginning of the End

I started staying really close to Pyrrha, looking over my shoulders and straining to see anything out of the ordinary.  Why I'm doing it, I can't really say for sure.  I've just got a really bad feeling about things...something big's about to happen...and I don't like it.  I think that people are starting to be scared of me; looking at everything through narrowed eyes, keeping so close to Pyrrha, seeming to radiate this aura of 'touch me and you'll lose more than a hand.'  It's weird but even Ozpin supports my tactics.

     "Just make sure that she's ready to make her decision," he told me.  "It's just as important as keeping her safe...."  Due to the recent unpleasentness, I'm guessing that he feels the same about things as I do.

     "Stop fidgeting," Isabel told me.  "You're making the rest of us nervous...."

     "You should be nervous," I told them, keeping an eye on the entire stadium.  I was about to say 'if you knew what I knew' but I held back the remark.  I hate keeping secrets from them, but it has to be done until I can't do it any longer.  "I just have a bad feeling about this...."

     Destiny and Isabel shrugged, but Leah put a hand on my shoulder.  The look in her eyes said that she wanted to help but couldn't if I wouldn't let her in.  I left it there, continuing my probe of the stadium.

     "Welcome back to the semi-finals," Oobleck said, his normal excited demeanor back.  "We do apologize for the delay, but everything has been settled and the tournament will continue."  

     "Our next match will be between Pyrrha Nikos of Beacon and Penny Polendina," Port said.  "Combatants to the arena...."  The both walked out, Penny in that strange little girl way that she did with no weapons drawn.  I'm actually not sure how she thinks she's going to fight Pyrrha with nothing but her bare hands.

      "Begin!"  Eight identical swords came from nowhere behind Penny, spinning around her before launching at Pyrrha.  I stared in amazement at Penny, not knowing if those swords were real or just energy made into the shape.  My gaze was locked on the fight, watching Pyrrha use her semblance to keep the blades at bay, but she was tiring out pretty fast.  I knew that Penny wasn't going to seriously injure Pyrrha, but part of me wanted to distort the space around her, making it a little more difficult.  Unfortunately, that would disqualify Pyrrha and probably get me expelled....

     "What a remarkable display," Port stated.  "I don't think I've seen Ms. Nikos be disarmed before...."  Pyrrha was now fighting solely with her semblance, moving the swords so that they wouldn't hit her, but she did get knocked back.  

     Penny raised her swords, ready for a final attack before Pyrrha lashed out with a pulse.  We watched as the swords flew back, Penny moving as something wrapped around her waist and left arm.  Most people looked away, fearing the sight of blood, but I was more surprised by what did happen.

     The sound was metal scraping against metal and Penny fell apart, her severed torso and arm sparking with exposed circuits.  There was silence in the arena as we all stared breathlessly at the scene.  A black chess queen piece appeared on the view screens and another voice, an alluring female's voice came over the speakers.

      "This is not a tragedy.  This is not an accident."  Something about that voice made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.  "This is what happens when you hand over your trust, your safety, your children, to men who claim to be our guardians but are in reality nothing more than men.  Our academies' headmasters wield more power than most armies, and one was audacious enough to control both."  I gripped the hilt of Nightblade and stood up.

      "They cling to this power in the name of peace, and yet, what do we have here?  One nation's attempt at a synthetic army torn apart by another's star pupil.  What need would Atlas have for a soldier disguised as a little girl?  I don't think the Grimm can tell the difference."  I could see something flying overhead, something that made everyone feel uneasy.

       "And what, I ask you, is Ozpin teaching his students?"  My grip tightened as my finger itched to push the button to extend the blade.  "First, a dismemberment, now this?  Huntsmen and Huntresses should carry themselves with honor and mercy, yet I have witnessed neither.  Perhaps Ozpin felt that defeating Atlas in the tournament would help people forget his colossal failure in protecting Vale when the Grimm invaded its streets.  Or perhaps this was his message to the tyrannical dictator that has occupied an unsuspecting kingdom with armed forces.

      "Honestly, I haven't a clue who is right and who is right and who is wrong, but I know that the existence of peace is fragile, and the leaders of our kingdoms conduct their business with iron gloves.  As someone who hails from Mistral, I can assure you the situation their is equally undesirable."  I felt every part of me tense up for what I was planning.  I had to get to Pyrrha as soon as possible.  "Our kingdoms are on the brink of war and we, the citizens, are left in the dark.  So, I ask you, when the first shots are fired, which side will you be on?"

      There was the sound of something slamming against the force field and looked up to see a giant Nevermore trying to break the field.  

      "Get your weapons and get ready," I told the girls, extending Nightblade.  "I have to get Pyrrha...."