Vytal Tournament: Round 2

"So Ozpin told you that he couldn't tell you something?"  Leah asked, slipping her sheath onto her back.  

      "You get used to it," I replied, checking my gauntlets to make sure the mechanisms worked.  "Something about a secret order to guard something...he was really vague about it."

     "You going to tell Destiny and Isabel about this?"  she asked.  I looked around the locker room, wondering whether wearing my coat would be worth it.  Not sure if it's worth it after it was ripped last round...and it's kind of hot so I think that a muscle shirt will do just fine.  

     "Probably will," I answered.  "But we've got other things to worry about...."

     "Yeah," she said, flattening her skirt.  I looked at her, a long searching look.  She turned pink and looked away.  "What?  Do I look okay?"

     "Huh?"  I said, startled.  "Oh, yeah, you look fine.  I was just wondering...."  

     "Yeah?"  she replied.

     "How do you fight in that?"  I asked.  She punched me on the arm and smiled.  

     "Maybe someday you'll find out."  She walked past me to the lift, a sassy little smirk on her face.  I don't what she means by that, but I want to find out....  "You coming?"  I ran beside her and folded my arms across my chest.

      "You're such a tease," I said as the lift started to go up.  "You know that, right?"  Her smirk deepened and I knew that I wasn't going to get an answer.  

     "Welcome to the second rounds of the Vytal Festival Tournament," Dr. Oobleck said over the speakers.  "Professor Port is joining me once again for this round.  Neptune Vasilias and Sun Wukong versus Andrew Jennings and Leah Lucas."  I smirked at Neptune.  He smiled back at me, but I could see that he's knees were shaking.  Let's hope for a wet field....  "Raise the stage."

      The dials turned, landing on water, savannah, geysers, and mountain.  I smiled at Neptune and his widened in fear.  

     "You going to use your semblance on him, aren't you?"  Leah asked, drawing her flachion.  I took a fighting stance.

     "You know I am," I said.  "Can you take Sun?  I've seen him fight and he's no pushover...."

     "Begin!"  The water rose up behind me and started to swirl in a giant funnel.

      "What's the matter Neptune?"  I jeered, walking towards him.  "Afraid of a little water?"  He raised his gun and aimed for me, shaking.  

      "How is this even fair?"  He said.  

     "It's what we've been training for since day one," I answered.  I used the water to lift Leah and I on a giant wave.  "Get ready!"  Leah jumped off towards Sun and I loomed closer to Neptune.  Evidently you can only push him so far.  

     His weapon transformed into a trident whose tines sparked with electricity.  That last fact I only noticed as he drove it into the wave.  The electricity arched up my body, not immensely painful but still enough to catch me off guard and drop the water.  I slammed hard onto the platform and only had a few seconds to roll out of the way of Neptune's trident.

     "Not so cocky without your powers, huh?"  He said.  I flipped into a standing position and extended my hidden blades.  "So...you've got those...."

     "And I know how to use them too," I answered.  Now, I don't have reach on him and he's probably going to try and keep me occupied so that I can't use my semblance against him.  I might have underestimated Neptune....  He came at me, using his advantage of reach to put me on the defensive.  

      "What's the matter?"  he asked as I jumped to avoid a jab at my feet.  "I thought you were one of the beast fighters in Beacon."  He made a jab at my chest but over shot, allowing me to grab hold of the shaft.  His eyes widened as I yanked on the shaft, bringing him closer.

     "Maybe I am," I replied, raising a fist as he came closer.  "You, however, are still an idiot...."  I punched him in the jaw (no hidden blade, just my knuckles)  and sent him flying, his trident still in my hands.  I raised it over my head and threw it into the water of the ocean area, causing it to spark with electricity.  "Note to self; don't go near there...."  

      A scream broke me from my obvious thoughts, and I spun on my heel, forgetting about Neptune.  Sun had two of his light clones holding Leah, making her completely at his mercy.  I elbowed Neptune in the stomach as he tried sneaking up behind me and used my wind control to propel myself towards her.  When I hit her I actually thought about what I was doing.  

     I broke her free of the clones, but we flew end over end to land with me on top of her.

      "Thanks," she groaned.  "But couldn't you have been a little more gentle?"  I was about to make a sarcastic, and probably inappropriate, comment before she pulled out her pistols and pointed them up.  She fired to rounds that flew either side of my head.  "Sun trying to attack us.   I guess you owe me?"

     "Can we talk about this later?"  I asked, standing and swinging her to put us back-to-back.  Sun had surrounded us and Neptune was wimpering from my attack.  "We're kind of busy...."

      "Killjoy," she said, pulling back the hammers of her pistols.  We started firing our weapons in a perfect circle, taking down Suns left and right, but he just created more.  I don't know about Leah but I was running out of bullets.  "Can't you do something?"

     "Like what?"  I replied, stabbing a Sun with a blade and watching it disappear.  She unloaded two more rounds.

     "Are you telling me that with all those powers of yours, that you've got nothing?"  She asked.  Oh, yeah....  I grabbed her and tossed her up in the air, keeping her up with wind.  Sun's clones moved closer, ready to finish me off before I raised my fist and punched the ground.  The platform cracked and tore itself up in an expanding shockwave of rock that hit both Sun and Neptune.  I released the wind on Leah, caught her, and set her down beside me.

     "Okay," Sun groaned.  "That hurt...."  Neptune just let out a low groan and they both fell on their backs.  

     "Yet another astounding display from Mr. Jennings," Dr. Oobleck said.  "And such marksmanship from Ms. Lucas.  I am sure that they will continue this display in the finals, whichever one goes to fight."

     "I certainly hope so," Port chimed in.  "I've come to expect something of this caliber from him, and hopefully we'll see him again for the finals...."  Leah and I turned to leave and, I don't know what possessed me but I put my arm around her shoulders.  She didn't shrug it off, so I guess that means she's okay.  If not...I'm sleeping with one eye open tonight....

A/N: Hello all of my lovely readers.  I'm feeling strange so I'm going to issue a little 'contest' to you all.  If you fancy yourself an artist I'd like some fan art, if it's not too much to ask.  It can be from any of my books & I will supply some details for characters that I either neglected to give details on them or didn't give enough.  PM your submissions and you may see them in one of the books.

Team Nightwatch

Leah: shoulder-length blonde hair, green eyes, glasses, average height

Andrew: tall, short dark brown hair, skinny, blue/grey eyes

Destiny: short, short blonde hair, glasses

Isabel: average height, long black hair, green eyes

Twilight Forest

Matt: tall, muscular, messy brown hair, fur on his face, brown eyes

Kiwi: shoulder-length brown hair, short, blue eyes

Eleanor: tall, long blonde hair, green eyes

Chloe: short, short brown hair, blue eyes