Prologue

© 2017 by Danelle Dreyer. All rights received.

No copy, in any form or manner, of this work is permitted.

Personally contact the author in case of an enquiry.

"All I ever wantedAll I ever neededIs here in my armsWords are very unnecessaryThey can only do harm Vows are spokenTo be brokenFeelings are intenseWords are trivialPleasures remainSo does the pain

"All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here in my arms
Words are very unnecessary
They can only do harm
Vows are spoken
To be broken
Feelings are intense
Words are trivial
Pleasures remain
So does the pain..." - Enjoy the Silence, Depeche Mode

Opis, the head butler, was carrying a heavy tray of assorted cakes, tarts and fresh fruit to the room of his master

Opis, the head butler, was carrying a heavy tray of assorted cakes, tarts and fresh fruit to the room of his master. As he neared the entrance to the large chamber, the noise of a muffled conversation reached his ears.

The old man stopped and eyed the golden double doors to his lord's room.

Opis pressed himself closer to the door to better hear the discussion going on inside.

They were arguing again- or rather- it was always more of a bickering when it came to those two.

"Just hand me the bloody book!" An annoyed female's voice rang out.

"What part of 'no stress or strain' do you not understand?"

"Then why on earth are you within a one mile radius of me?"

A small smile made its way onto the old butler's lips and he snuck a look through the small opening in the doorway.

There she was- looking as radiant as ever; her blonde tresses wrapped up in a tousled bun on her crown and her eyes glaring daggers at the dark figure in front of her. She folded her arms across her chest and waited impatiently for him to hand her the thick book he held in his fist.

The darkly dressed man scoffed; "No, Aurora. Rest. That's an order."

"Where do you get off telling me what to do?"

"I'm your guardian, I have full-right."

Aurora rolled her blue eyes and pulled a nasty face at the god in front of her; "You're more delusional than I was yesterday with my concussion."

"Save the sass- you're not studying. Even Conrad agreed you should have the rest of the week off."

"Well, Conrad's not the one who needs to master five different types of magic to ascend to goddess-ship, so hand it over!"

"You can 'ascend' later, your royal highness. Rest!" The tall god ordered as he pulled the covers over Aurora with one swift swoop.

"Ass!"

Thanatos chuckled while the girl tried to throw the covers from her head, but in the process, got herself tangled in the sheets.

"This is straining, Thanatos!"

The god of death sighed and pulled the sheets off of her head- he leaned in and shot her a smouldering look; "Should I read you a bed-time story so you can fall asleep?"

Aurora clenched her teeth and pressed the palm of her hand onto his face and pushed it back.

"Thanks, but I think I'll settle for the sound of you leaving..."

Thanatos made a searing noise and dramatically placed a hand over his heart; "That really stung, angel... Even more so after I saved you from the clutches of death!"

"You are death, you jackass."

"A small technicality."

Aurora leaned back into the push pillows and closed her eyes.
Thanatos stared expectantly.

After a while of odd silence, Thanatos pinched Aurora's forearm, causing her to yelp out in annoyance.

"Can't you see I'm trying to do as you asked? Rest!"

"No, what you're doing now is ignoring me." Thanatos said as he climbed in under the sheet next to the blonde beauty. Aurora tried to push him away, but it was a futile attempt. The Greek god snuggled in next to her and swung a muscled arm around Aurora's shoulders.

"Now- as I was saying; a bed-time story..."

"Oh, dear lord, someone hand me an axe."

Opis' eyes widened by the picture he saw suddenly- as clear as day.

It was crazy to think this, but there was no other explanation that made more sense- they were in love.

It was obvious- the way they stole lingering glances at each other, the way they found excuses to touch the other and the way their lips caressed the other's name.

Opis paused and hunched his shoulders up. He'd never before, in all his years of service, seen his master act like this.

So besotted...

It was strange.

Opis tried not to make a sound as he backed up and noiselessly crept off into the darkness of the passage. He would deliver the food later- when he knew he wouldn't be interrupting anything.

He grew up caring for Thanatos and always wished for him to be happy and settle down, but that was always a very far-fetched dream- well, until now.

How did this happen?

How did the wolf fall so deeply for the rabbit?

Opis shook his head and sighed.

Aurora was special, but he knew Thanatos- and he knew how easily the young man could let his impulses take control when it came to his obsessions.

How long before this would implode, or would the beast finally let himself be tamed?

Time would tell...

The Sequel is well under way and I've finished writing it so expect weekly updates!