Chapter One, Zyra's POV,

Chapter One, My Life,

Her dad will be home soon, she should be asleep by then, but she always can hear when he comes into the apartment. His loud stomping feet, his angry grunts, and sometimes even the sound of something breaking. Our apartment barely has anything in it, just the things that were here when we came plus a few other things. When my parents divorced, my dad was so angry he took me far away from my mom, I have no idea where she is. I just want to be back at home but I can't. My dad makes sure I am home from school each day and when he is sober, which is very unlikely, he will ask me how my day was. He is so scared that my mother will come for me and take me away from him forever, just like what he did to her. It's weird but that's just the way it is. I can't disobey him, he's too cruel, I have many scars and bruises to prove that to you. Now you might ask me, what do you do to escape your emotions? I read so I can be in someone else's world than my own. I steal money from my father for food, clothing, and books, if he ever found out, I would definitely be dead. Tonight I when I hear him come into our tiny apartment, he's yelling and cursing to my mother many miles away. I stay hidden in my room, which is just a big storage closet.

"She is one Mother ******* idiot to break up with me!" He shouts into the void, "I mean look at me, I am handsome as ****"

Then I hear him fall to the ground with a loud thud. I scooch myself up into the corner of my room with my blankets and pillows around me. I try not to cry but it's hard. I wish I had my old life back, I wish we could go back to the days when both of my parents loved each other. Those were the glory days, we would go to parks to have a picnic, they would come into the backyard and push me on my swing sometimes, and laughter, oh laughter, I miss that the most. When my mom laughed it was like the world was smiling, it's like the world would laugh with her. Her voice would make the birds sing and leafs would sing as well as her voice carried throughout our neighborhood. I wish I could see her again. I wish I could see her beautiful red hair and hear her sing one more note but I can't. I never will because of my father, because you can never escape his wrath.