Chapter Five, Dawn's POV,

Chapter Five, I Saved Her Life,

After the doctors came everything happened in a blur. They took me with her to the hospital because I saved her and they took her father away for evaluation. My parents were outside the crappy apartment buildings when the doctors were taking Zyra away on a stretcher. My mother handed me a shirt and they both gave me a big hug.

"You saved her life, you should feel proud" My mother whispers in my ear.

I nod. I feel proud, but there's more to it. Zyra's dad will probably be taken to jail and Zyra will be put in a foster home, I feel bad for doing that. Then I pulled away from their hugs and ran into the ambulance that had her in it. She was still crying and moaning but she seemed to feel much better after the doctors gave her medication. They worked quickly to put bandages around her wound and treat it. I can't remember any exact details because my mind went a little fuzzy. Like I said, after the doctors came, the day was a blur to me. After we got to the hospital and they gave her a hospital room, they placed her on a bed with many buttons and on it. The doctors then put an IV into her arm to put some kind of sleep medication in her. She calmed down right away, then she was asleep. While all of this happened everyone was thanking me and congratulating me for saving her. I didn't want any thanks, I just wanted her to wake up. She knows my secret, the one about how I never go to class, and I feel a strange urge to protect her. Also when the doctors first came into the room, police came too, and I had to describe everything that happened to her and how I saved her. They took notes on Ipads and thanked me for calling. Now here I am sitting next to Zyra, she's still asleep, and it's about 8 PM. My parents want me to come home with them and get some sleep but I won't leave Zyra's side. I want to be the one to explain what happened because I saved her life, and she's my friend, I think, so it feels like the right thing to do. Her long brown hair cascades down her shoulders and onto her hospital gown (When did they put that on her?). She has bruises down her arms and many on her back as well. They told me she had a fractured skull and nothing else which I was relieved to hear. My parents brought in a smaller version of my xylophone and mallets to keep me busy until she is awake. I play my melody softly so I don't wake her, she needs her rest.