Chapter Three, Zyra's POV,

Chapter Three, New People,

Our apartment complex has three stories of eight apartments. Yes, I know, it's a small apartment complex but it's where my dad brought us. I walk into the lobby and see something odd. Unlike the regular people who come live in these apartments these people actually dress fairly decent and have many things with them. They stand at the clerk's desk getting their keys to the apartment and that's when I see her. She is standing next to a young boy, and is holding his hand. Their parents stand in front of them while talking to the clerk. They have all their bags in a pile next to them and I can see some drum cases in the middle of it. Why would Dawn be moving into this junk of an apartment complex? I have to get up to my apartment quickly before she spots me, I can't be late, my dad would freak out. So I walk quickly past her and try to get to the elevator without her noticing.

"Hey Zyra" I hear her say quietly but I ignore it and get into the elevator.

I press the button to take me to the third floor as fast as I can. The crappy elevator takes a while to get up there but at least I have something to blame me being late on. Once the elevator doors open I run to our apartment and use my key to get into it. Surprisingly when I open the door, my father isn't there. This is amazing! I can finally go into his room and get some money from him for food! Our place is a mess like usual, stains are all over our couches and floor but I couldn't be happier to see my dad, not their. I run towards my closet room and open it. Quickly I throw my bookbag in it and turn around. My father's door is right in front of my room so I quickly open it. What I find astonishes me. My dad is lying on his bed with another woman sleeping next to him. I stumble backward, confused and angry with my father. Quickly I shut the door. Is my father in their with another woman? I mean that's okay, they divorced, but why? Does my dad even know? Did he bring her home? I slip into my room and shut the door. I need to get out of this house someday. I don't even care where I go, just anywhere but here. I go through my sock drawer and find my hidden change. It totals up to a dollar twenty-five. That's good enough to get me a small soda at Mcdonald's! I laugh a little and some tears pour out. I never asked for this life, a life trying to find spare change and money, and being happy over a small soda. I get out of my closet room and run for the door, the sooner I make it out of here until he leaves, the better. As soon as I open the door I hear that beautiful melody. Dawn must have brought her bells with her, probably, or she recorded herself playing and is listening to it very loudly. I can't help but be jealous of her, I now she is moving into this dump, but still, they can afford food, they have a functional family. Plus she can play such beautiful tunes of her percussion instruments, it's unbelievable. I make my way to the crappy elevator and get inside it. I press the button to go and wait. As the elevator slowly ascends the music gets louder. When the doors finally open at ground level I can see Dawn playing her many belled instrument outside for money. She has a little can next to her bells and some people who pass this dump on their way to the strip mall give her change. I am going to have to go outside and face her if am going to get that small soda for dinner. I walk outside into the chilly fall weather. Dawn's music fits the weather perfectly as if it's a soundtrack for it. Dawn sees me but keeps playing, I keep walking down the street towards the strip mall.