Chapter Two: Warm Hearts

Tina's POV

    "Tina! You have to be willing to kill for it!" Shane's mom, my aunt, shouts at me. I watch the spit fly from her mouth as she tries to teach me. Aunt Lilith offers me ten bucks if I cut the heart out of my puppy. I have had her for three monthes. Lilith won't let me name her because of the risk of developing an emotional attachment.

    Since Shane ran away, I became the priority. I am to be the next greatest unicorn hunter. More important than that, I am the one who has to kill Cheyenne.

    "But the puppy isn't even six monthes old! I have much more than ten dollars from the horse last week, anyways," I argue.

    Aunt Lilith rakes her kitchen knife against my cheek as quickly and sharp as a razor. "That," she repeats the cutting, "Is for questioning me. This," and she does it yet again, "Is because you know better. Lastly, you need  to be strengthened," and I am cut but once more.

    "You are younger than Cheyenne. Therefore, you need to be stronger, faster, smarter-" I have learned to pretend to listen to this rant long ago. I have been getting the 'better than Cheyenne' speech since a year ago, when we were told Shane died in the plane crash in Hawii. Except, I know it isn't true. He is alive. I have seen him on the internet, singing in th etalent show at his 'new' school.

    Auntie Lilith holds the knife out to me, so I finally do it. I let the golden retriever peppy squirm under my fingers, as I penetrate it's tiny chest with the blade. It whimpers, whines, until I reach into the chest cavity and rip out it's tiny little hear and hold it out to my aunt. She gives me an approving look and nods. 

    I bite into the still warm heart. Aunt Lilith beleives that if I eat the heart of my first kill of every different species, it shall strengthen the warrior in me. Feed the fighter.