Chapter Thirty Three: Dancing with the Young

Cheyenne’s POV

“What on earth are you doing, Cheyenne?” Shane asked me, sounding thoroughly puzzled. I held up the sharpie, looking over my shoulder at the boy. I snatch up a red sharpie that lies on the sidewalk next to the blue one. I throw the red and blue at him and keep the black for myself, continuing.

“Choose a color,” I instruct. Seconds later, the blue sharpie is dropped in front of me.

“Cheyenne, will you please explain to me what is going on?” Shane sighs, exasperated.

“I am drawing faces on eggs,” I tell him.

“Why? Are you alright?” I turn around and glare at Shane, exhausted from the lack of sleep he has caused me. Teenaged boys are such a handful! Though . . . He probably says the same thing about me.

“Tina caught the flu, and I just wanted to cheer her up,” is my only response, besides a searing glare.

“Oh. Well, how is she doing?”

“She has the flu! How do you think she is doing?!” I shake my head and continue to draw faces. While I use a black sharpie to draw a rabbit face on one egg, Shane sits on the cracked sidewalk, besides me. He draws a red mustache beneath a cowboy hat.

He begins to speak, softly, staring at the ground. “Jillian used to tell stories about cowboys and horse ranches and such to Tina, before she left for Afghanistan.” Shane now looks into my eyes, showing that he is sincere, that he is opening up again. How long has it been since he spoke of his family in ways that did not involve bloodshed? “What happened to her, anyways?”

“She was cremated. Her ashes are in the park, scattered in the wind” I explain.

“Oh. Well, I have an idea,” Shane proclaims.

“And that would be?”

“Tina has never seen us shift. I thought that maybe . . .”

-------------------------------------------------

Shane’s cousin follows us into the swamps closest to the hotel. We both phase and Shane ducks down so as to allow his younger cousin to climb onto his fiery, muscled back. She laughs a bit with glee, before composing herself. What did the girl think she had to hide from?