Chapter Thirty Eight: The Last Of Our Kind

Cheyenne's POV

    "How are you of werewolf descent, then?" Shane asks Lysander, letting his curiousity get the best of him.

    "Charles," I give Shane a knowing look, hoping that he realized who Charles was. Lysander conintues, "was bitten by a werewolf under the full moon as a young child. His parents had thought him dead, so that their once close friends had him. They tried to kill him, but ended up turning to expirament on him, instead."

    "How could someone be so cruel?" I can't help the words from slipping through my lips.

    Lysander looks away, then orders one of his pack members. "Bring me the map." Turning to adress Shane and myself once again, he claims, " None of that matters now. What matters is that Shane's few remaining relatives are banding together with as many hunters as they can to come finish us all off."

    "But why us?" I can't help but ask.

    "You two are the last unicorns, besides one man named Vincent," Lysander continnues. "And mine is the last wolf pack."

    "But-" It takes me a moment to remember Vincent. Then I remember running into Miranda and her boyfriend when Shane and I were travelling the world. I had actually thought that he had died, like Miranda.

    "Here is all you need to know, girl," growls one of Lysanders pack members.

    "Leo, no," Lysander hisses at the caramel tanned, shaggy blond. "The hunters of all of our so called mythical species have been doing their so called job too well. They are banding together to finally undermine us. The reason our pack is this big is because it is all that remains of the world. Right this very second, your friend Vincent could be dead."

     "No! We can't be the only ones," I try not to scream into Shane's shoulder.

      "You could try to mentally link him, but-"

    "I will be back in a minute, " I snap at Lysander and shove off of Shane. It didn't matter what kind of person Vincent was- He was kin to us, through our species type. At least Lilith failed to kill one unicorn besides Shane and myself in the woods that night. That night that she killed my family.

    I strip from my clothing and shift. I try to feel the very essence of unicorn kind. I try so hard, concentrating-

    "Cheyenne, he is already on his way," Shane ccomes outside, and walks to my shoulder. He runs a hand through my mane while a twitch an ear in curiousity. "Lysander already came in contact with him, shortly after he . . . met you."

    Shane goes back into the house to give me a moment of privacy to change once I phase back.

---------------------------------------

    When I enter the house again, everyone stares at me.

    Lysander looks me dead in the eyes and says, "You either stand with us, or against us."