Chapter Forty Eight: All She Has

Shane's POV

    It takes so long, but we finally reach a hospital. I feared Cheyenne would bleed out before that, but she somehow keeps breathing. Even though she is unconcious, I know she is fighting with all that she has in her.

    Lysander looks at me as we step up to the hospital. Cheyenne's breaths might be low, slow, and deep. But Lysander and I breath in shallow, quick breaths. Is it my heart that I hear beating so loudly in my ears? I actually wonder if he can hear it, too.

    Alas, we reach the doors. I wait in front, while Lysander tightens the belt on the pants we had found for him. It would probably be suspicious if we stepped foot in a hospital with a bare werewolf . . .

    When Lysander hits the automatic button for the handicap doors, I shift Cheyenne in my arms. When the panes of glass, blocked in by the metal door frames spread, we are all bathed in light. I give up on being patient, as Cheyennes's breaths quicken and become more shallow than my own.

    I rush Cheyenne to the front desk. The lady, with her short, white curls, looks me in the eye and rises an eyebrow, all the while keeping a glare on her face. Such great services, I sigh.

    "She has been shot," I look at Cheyenne and go to remove the binding cloth that I put around her left shoulder. "Please . . ." I gasp, breathless, unable to spit out any more words.

    The stout, miniscule woman leans over and presses an intercome button and puts her lips right before a small speaker on her desk. The world is blurry and I don't hear what she says, for my heart beat pounds too hard in my head. Some paramedics and nurses come and have to rip Cheyenne from my arms. I think I scream, but I am not certain.

    One calm face leads me over to a chair and tells me to wait. They say everything will be alright soon. Then they turn around and shoot Lysander. I watch him fall, but I can't move. I have nothing left in me to motivate me to rush to his side. I feel helpless, as the woman turns to me. 

    "Listen here," she says calmly, even smiling. Is that a Portugese accent I catch? "Shane, he had to go. He was a dirt bag of a werewolf. He was a terrible pack leader! I think you may have been poisoned with his lies. I am sorry, but it is for the good of Cheyenne!" And I hear a light bang. I feel darting pain in my stomach. Then the wolrd goes black . . .

    When I do awaken, a light voice sings. It takes me a moment to recognize  All She Knows by Bruno Mars. but I join in after several lines, after clearing my throat.

    "Once again you're home alone

Tears running from your eyes

And I'm on the outside

Knowing that you're all I want

But I can't do anything

I'm so helpless baby

Everyday same old things

So used to feelin pain

Never had real love before

And it ain't her fault

She knows better but

She can't help it

Wanna tell her

But would that be selfish

How do you heal

A heart that can't feel, it's broken

His love is all she knows, all she knows, all she knows

You've been livin this way so long

You don't know the difference

And it's killing me

Cause you can have so much more

I'm the one your looking for

But you close your eyes on me

So you still can't see

Everyday same old things

So used to feelin pain

Never had real love before

And it ain't her fault

She knows better but

She can't help it

Wanna tell her

But would that be selfish

How do you heal

A heart that can't feel, it's broken

His love is all she knows, all she knows, all she knows

All she knows is the pain

In the corner of an empty home

She's still comfortable

I want her to know

It can be better than this

I can't pretend

Wish we were more than friends

She knows better but

She can't help it

Wanna tell her

But would that be selfish

How do you heal

A heart that can't feel, it's broken

His love is all she knows, all she knows, all she knows

His love is all she knows, all she knows, all she knows"

So Cheyenne made it. Or I am dead . . .