Chapter Twelve: Another

Cheyenne's POV

    Shane gives me the cold shoulder, all the way until he doesn't show up in the park the day of the full moon's start. I don't want to shift. I don't want that pain. I have to concentrate to prevent it . . .

    My body begins to phase anyways. My bones elongate. Skinn stretches, until it feels tight and itchy. The d*mned horn peirces through my flesh, breaking free of my skull, so my head feels as if it shall burst.

    I run towards the park, drawn by something I can't figure out until I run right into it. The other unicorn falls over, like me. I fiery red coat, wild, long mane. Brown eyes- This was the exact unicorn that I had once that was a horse that had wrecked Jillian's '67 Chevy Ipala. The Impala that she had sworn I could have when she died . . .

    Oh h*ll, this unicorn is going down!

    "What the h*ll have you been doing? First you wreck my future Impala and nearly kill me-" I start to scream across our mental bridge. When unicorns are close enough to each other, we communicate through what is often referred to as 'unicorn radio' by our kind or any humans that know of us.

    "What are you talking about? I don't remember any of that!"

    Remember? How could someone not remember all of those things- "Shane?" It couldn't be . . .

    "Yeah. Who's asking?"

    "Umm, Cheyenne."

    Shane gains a qaulity to his unicorn eyes that makes it look like he is in a daze.

    "Are you still there, Shane?"

    "Umm, yeah, sorry."

    "What is going on?"

   "Honestly?"

    "No," I draw out sarcastically. Shane's eyes dart to the side, and his heart rate picks up. Is he thinkng of making an escape? "Shane! I want an explanation, now!"

    "I have been remembering things. A lot of things."

     "What inds of things?" I press.

    "Umm . . . Things that are game changing," is all I can get from him.

    "So . . . How much do you remember about me? Do you remember  . . . Us?" I push. Apparently, this is the last straw, because Shane turns and darts away. I try to follow in pursuit, but he is too fast, and I am getting too warm. I needed to get back to my clothes and go back to the hotel . . .

-----------------------------------

    "So what in all did Shane say he remembered?" Jillian questions.

    "Just a lot of game changing things."

    "That's all he said?" Jill continues, encredously.

    "YES! That is all Shane said!" Unfortunately, the whole ordeal in the park has made me quite irritable.

    "So sorry-" Jillian starts to go an, vexed by my reactions and answers. "Wait- Where are you goiong, Cheyenne?!" Jill and Tina call after me when I run out.

------------------------------------

    I finally find bluffs that I suppose could count as cliffs over the ocean. It is so pretty at night, shimmering in the moonlight. It reminds me of Devil's Hill with Shane. Those were the days . . .

    I climb over the rocks and light gravel. At the top of the bluffs, I reach the edge of the longest cliff, singing as I slowly walk.  

    "Please come now I think I'm falling

I'm holding on to all I think is safe

It seems I found the road to nowhere

And I'm trying to escape

I yelled back when I heard thunder

But I'm down to one last breath

And with it let me say

Let me say

Hold me now

I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking

maybe six feet

Ain't so far down

I'm looking down now that it's over

Reflecting on all of my mistakes

I thought I found the road to somewhere

Somewhere in His grace

I cried out heaven save me

But I'm down to one last breath

And with it let me say

Let me say"

     How I loved the song, One Last Breath, by Creed. It perfectly described my confusion and my mental debate.

    "Hold me now

I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking

maybe six feet

Ain't so far down

Hold me now

I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking

maybe six feet

Ain't so far down"

    I think about Shane's lips pressed to mine. Our happiness shinig through our pain and struggles.

    "Sad eyes follow me

But I still believe there's something left for me

So please come stay with me

'Cause I still believe there's something left for you and me

For you and me

For you and me

Hold me now

I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking

Hold me now

I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking

maybe six feet

Ain't so far down"

    The exhilarating moments when we sang together. Shane punching Ichabod over me. Every time he came to the hospital when I was in that cursed coma. Shane stitching me up after multiple accidents, especially his mother's assassination attempt on me.

"Hold me now

I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking

maybe six feet

Ain't so far down

Please come now I think I'm falling

I'm holding on to all I think is safe"

    I leap, almost against my will at this point. I realize to late that I don't want to end my life like this. I see a shape of a tall, thin man, reaching his hands towards me as I leave the ground.

    "Shane!"