Chapter Forty One: Back Up Plan

Shane's POV

    "So what will our strategy be?" Cheyenne asks me, one of her small, thin hands placed gently on my forearm. "I mean, the pack will obviously hunt in wolf form, but what about us? You were a hunter for the longest time- You could use the bow."

    "I don't know. Tomorrow morning . . . Well, what do you plan on doing, Cheyenne?"

    "I am not sure. Maybe I will use a gun, then phase when I run out of bullets. I just worry because you have to be in close range to skewer anyone with a horn attached to your head, ya know."

    "I understand. Maybe we should fight as human at first. We won't exactly blend in with the hunters, but we won't be as defenseless. Are you sure you can't just go back to Portugul with Kat or something? We could get you on a plane tonight, even."

    Even as I fall in love with the idea, I know that Cheyenne would never agree to leave the front line. Or . . .

    "I won't go somewhere safe while I know you are in danger," she sniffs for a moment before continueing. "For all I would know, you could be dead while I a, kicking back, watching some terrible football game and drinking hot chocolate with Kat."

    I know that Cheyenne wishes we could both go stay with the kindly woman who owned a motel we once stayed at. It was, ironically, the same hotel as the one Cheyenne had reunited again with Vincent and Miranda. And then Miranda died. I remember, not being able to tell Cheyenne at the time that I was one of kind, too, at that point.

    "No matter what happens, Shane," Cheyenne interrupts my reverie. "I will always love you. Wether I day tomorrow, or the last second in battle, I will always love you."

    "Don't you dare say that, Cheyenne! I won't ever let you die! Not if I can help it!"

    "If I know one thing, that's true

It ain't what you say, it's what you do

And you don't say much, yeah, that's true

But I listen when you do

A thousand years go by

But love don't die"

    I join into Love Don't Die, by the Fray, a measure later. I enjoy the lyrics, as they resonate from Cheyenne.

    Together, we sing, "If I know one thing, that's true

It's that I'm never leaving you

And you don't say much, yeah, that's true

But I lose it when you do

Don't let them tell no lie

Love don't die

No matter where we go

Or even if we don't

And even if they try

They'll never take my body from your side

Love don't die

If there is one thing, that's true

It's not what I say, it's what I do

And I say too much, yeah, that's true

So just listen to what I do

A thousand years go by

But love don't die

No matter where we go

Or even if we don't

And even if they try

They'll never take my body from your side

Love don't die

She can break it up

She can burn it down

You can box it in

Bury it in the ground

You can close it off

And turn it away

Try to keep it down,

Six feet in the ground

But love don't die

No matter where we go

Or even if we don't

And even if they try

They'll never take my body from your side

Love don't die

No matter where we go

Or even if we don't

I’d like to watch them try

They'll never take my body from your side

Love don't die"

    "Aww, how sweet," Lysander sneers. Where the h*ll did he come from?!?!

    "So sorry to interrupt," Cheyenne and I take the hint, but we do not break from our tight embrace, until he starts tapping his foot impatiently at us. "Like I said, so so sorry," he rolls his eyes, showing his insencerity, "But we have business to get down to. We have to fill you in about the back up plan and escape route, back at the pack house. Come along."