Chapter 6: Leaving Home

Early the next morning, you wake with the others and pack your bag. Just essentials, clothes, hygiene products, blankets, a small pillow, and the photos of you and Bilbo. Before you leave, you write Bilbo a note.

'Father,

    I've decided to travel with the company. I am old enough to make choices like these on my own. I know you only do these things to protect me but I'm not a little girl anymore. If you decide to join us, that would be amazing. If not, I'll do my best to send word to you every chance I get. I love you.

Your daughter,

(Y/N)'

    When you finish your note, you sign the contract then follow the others outside. As you approach the pony, Fili walks over to you.

    "Would you like some help with that?" He asks, motioning to your bag

    "Not to worry brother, I've got it," Kili says, seeming to come out of no-where and grabbing your bag

    "The both of you should not worry," You say, grabbing your bag back from Kili "I can handle it myself."

    You fasten everything to the pony who pays no mind to you as you do so. Once you've finished, you pull yourself up onto the saddle and grab the reins then look at the two males.

    "Coming boys?" You say in a joking way as you urge the pony to follow the others

    It's been sometime since the sun has risen. Yet already you've seen a difference in your surroundings. Though, you couldn't enjoy it. Your mind couldn't help but drift to Bilbo. Imagining the look of worry on his face when he realizes you're gone. You begin to stare off into space until someone speaks beside you.

    "You alright lass?" Dwalin asks, looking at you

    "Yes," You answer "Just thinking of Bilbo, worried for him."

    "Don't you worry about him," Dwalin says "He's safe in his little home."

    You nod in agreement but then crease your eyebrows hearing a faint voice. You turn to see Bilbo running towards the group shouting.

    "Wait!" He shouts, panting "Wait!"

    You're the first one to stop your pony, a large smile crossing your face as Bilbo approaches everyone.

    "I signed it," He says, holding up the contract with a smile "Here."

    You smile even more, watching as Bilbo hands the contract to Balin. Who brings out a seeing eye glass to inspect the paper.

    "Everything appears to be in order," Balin says as he refolds the contract "Welcome, Master Baggins, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield."

    Chuckles and smiles come across the group. Including Bilbo who now seems excited about the situation.

    "Give him a pony," Thorin orders

    "No, no, that won't be necessary," Bilbo protests "Thank you. I'm sure I can keep up on foot. I've done my fair share of walking holidays, you know? Even got as far as Frogmorton once. Aah!"

    You giggle watching Bilbo hold the reins up to nearly eye level as he stares at the back of the pony's head. Then laugh at the face he makes when the pony tosses his head.

    The Dwarves shout something to each other as the toss small bags of money to each other.

    "What's that about?" Bilbo asks Gandalf who is on the other side of him

    "Oh, they took wagers on whether or not you'd turn up," Gandalf answers "Most of them bet that you wouldn't."

    "And what did you think?" Bilbo asks

    "Well," Gandalf begins then catches a pouch that was tossed to him "My dear fellow, I never doubted you for a second."

    Moments later Bilbo sneezes then sighs.

    "It's horse hair," He claims, beginning to search his pockets "Having a reaction."

    As he continues, Bilbo seems to become distressed.

    "No, wait, wait, stop," He says, causing everyone to stop their ponies "Stop! We have to turn around."

    "What on earth is the matter?" Gandalf asks

    "Father we're far from home, if we turn around now we'd lose hours on travel," You say

    "Yes, I know but I forgot my handkerchief," He says

    "Here," Bofur says, ripping a piece of his tunic and tossing it to him "Use this."

    As soon as Bilbo had ahold of it, Thorin urges the company forward once again. The journey continues, and there's no turning back.