Chapter 13: Orcs and Wargs

(Next chapter will be out once Chapter 19 is written)

    While you and the company waited for the two Wizards to finish their discussion, you lean against a tree with your eyes closed. You hadn't slept even a minute considering the dilemma with the Trolls.

    Just as you were dozing off, a howl from an animal unknown to you came from the distance. The sound of it woke you up suddenly, causing you to jump slightly and open your eyes. When you look around you see everyone on alert.

    "What was that?" You wonder aloud

    "Was that a wolf?" Bilbo asks, frightened "Are there wolves out there?"

    "Wolves?" Bofur repeats "No, that is not a wolf."

    Seeming out of nowhere a rabbit looking dog and wolf mix appears crawling from boulders, growling at everyone. Though, this was no dog nor wolf. Not one you've ever seen before.

    Nearly twice the size of a regular horse. It's teeth as long as daggers, sharp as them too. Thin gray fur, pointed ears, and squinting eyes. This creature would make anyone back in the Shire have nightmares for weeks just by looking at it.

    Suddenly it pounces towards Thorin. Before it can reach him, others swing at it with their weapons, killing it. Then another appears from behind Thorin. This one black. But before it could clamp its mouth around Thorin, Kili shoots it down with his bow and arrow. Causing it to collapse, only to be killed by Dwalin.

    "Warg scouts," Thorin says, pulling his sword from one of the Wargs "Which means an Orc pack is not far behind."

    "Orc pack?" Bilbo repeats, standing beside Gandalf

    "Who did you tell about your quest, beyond your kin?" Gandalf asks Thorin

    "No one," Thorin answers

    "Who did you tell?" Gandalf presses, not believing Thorin

    "No one, I swear," Thorin repeats "What in Durin's name is going on?"

    "You are being hunted," Gandalf answers

    "We have to get out of here," Dwalin says

    "We can't," Ori says, running over "We have no ponies. They bolted."

    "I'll draw them off," Radagast says

    "These are Gundabad Wargs," Gandalf begins to protest "They will outrun you."

    "These are Rhosgobel rabbits," Radagast retorts "I'd like to see them try."

    You and the others watch as Radagast begins to lead the Wargs and Orcs away from everyone. Distracting them so that there's a way to escape. You almost laugh at Radagast teasing them.

    As soon as the area is clear, Gandalf leads everyone to a different rock to hide behind. He seems to be determined to get to a certain area, though you can't think of where it may be in an open field of grass and boulders.

    Despite the wind howling slightly in your ears as you run, you can still hear the howling of the Wargs in the distance.

    Soon you slow to a stop to hide behind one of the boulders. You pant a bit and look around. Before you can ask, everyone is moving again. With that, you follow staying close to the group.

    Though you stop once again, leaning against another boulder. Then the growling of a Warg can be heard from on top of the rock you're against. Upon hearing this you tense up and look to the side.

    At this you see Kili pull an arrow from his quiver and quickly run out. You watch as he aims and shoots at the Wargs and Orc. This causes the pair to fall, letting out horrid screeches but not die. Once down the Dwarves attack, quickly silencing the two. But they didn't do so soon enough.

    Howling can be heard coming closer. Obvious that the screams from the ones that were just killed was heard by the others.

    "Move! Run!" Gandalf says, leading everyone to run

    Soon the grass turning to a yellow. Random trees in various places, fewer boulders. But even sooner, you're surrounded. You stay close to Bilbo, not wanting to lose sight of him.

    "Where's Gandalf?" One of the Dwarves shouts

    "He's abandoned us," Dwalin responds as everyone circles together ready to fight

    "Hold your ground!" Thorin orders

    You pull out your sword, feeling adrenaline rush through you. Though before anyone of the enemy can reach to anyone. Gandalf appears out of nowhere.

    "This way, you fools!" Gandalf shouts, disappearing down behind a rock

    Everyone runs after him, sliding down into a passageway. You slide in right after Bilbo before sheathing your sword back into place. Then help others stand as they tumble down in a hurry.

    As soon as everyone is down a horn can be heard. One sounding like an Elk but not at the same time. You can hear the Orcs fighting something along with hooves hitting the ground. Neighs of horses. Though, hearing this no one dared to climb out of the small cave.

    Suddenly an Orc rolls down into the opening, dead. Once it stops, Thorin pulls a broken bit of an arrow from its neck.

    "Elves," He says observing it then tossing it down with disgust

    "I cannot see where the pathway leads," Dwalin says "Do we follow it or no?"

    "Follow it, of course," Bofur says, following after Dwalin

    Everyone makes their way through the narrow pathway in a single file. Dwalin leading front and Gandalf at the back. After a few moments, Bilbo speaks.

    "Gandalf," Bilbo says "Where are we?"

    You don't pay attention as they stop. Staying with the rest of the group.

    "There's light ahead," Dwalin announces to everyone else

    A few moments later everyone comes to an opening by a small waterfall which shortly leads to a cliff. When you emerge from the path your jaw nearly drops at the sight. Large beautifully built buildings with wondrous waterfalls in various places.

    "Whoa," You breathe "What is the place?"

    "The Valley of Imladris," Gandalf says from behind you "In the common tongue, it's known by another name."

    "Rivendell," You and Bilbo say in unison

    "Here lies the Last Homely House East of the Sea," Gandalf says

    As Gandalf and Thorin once again quietly bicker. You stand and admire the city. You had heard of Rivendell before. Heard of their knowledge and wisdom. Maybe they could possibly lead you in the right direction to find who you truly are.