Chapter 10: A Question, with no True Answer

*hours later*

    Hours had passed now into dark, the night sky sprinkled with stars. In the time, you had helped make dinner and started handed out bowls to the others.

    "He's been gone a long time," Bilbo says, walking closer to the fire

    "Who?" Bofur asks as he fills up two bowls

    "Gandalf," Bilbo answers

    "He's a Wizard," Bifur replies "He does as he chooses. Here, do us a favor. Take this to the lads."

    He hands the two bowls over to Bilbo and watches as he walks away. You then laugh lightly as Bofur pats Bomber, who had come up to have yet another portion, on the head.

    You look back into your bowl of soup as everyone sits down. Laugh and listen in on various conversations between the Dwarves before you. You had stayed silent until Balin, who is sitting beside you on the log, asks you a question.

    "May I ask you a question dearie?" He asks

    "Of course," You say, nodding and looking at him

    "What came by you to Bilbo?" Balin asks curiously

    This question somehow catches everyone's attention, causing all other conversations to stop and eyes to turn to you. Apparently, this is something everyone has been wondering.

    You take in a breath before answering.

    "Sometimes I wonder that myself," You nervously chuckle out and glance around

    Seeing that isn't a good enough explanation for them, you continue on.

    "Neither Bilbo nor I know," You begin "He's told me before about how he heard crying one late night a long time ago and when he looked out the window all he saw was a shadow. Knowing how easily frightened he gets he had supposedly hid before he could see anything else. Next thing he knew I was on his door step. No note, nothing to hint where I came from, what I am, or what my given name was. Just me, alone. Someone must've known he would take me in and raise me. But they possibly didn't take in the factor he would never let me leave his sight without panicking. Never let me do research to see if I can figure out what I am. I guess that's the main reason why I came, it'll give me a chance to prove myself to him. To get some freedom, and possibly find out what I truly am."

    When you finish, there's a long pause of silence. You clear your throat, now noticing you had rambled on.

    "Sorry," You say "I rambled, terrible habit I have says Father."

    "Don't you worry, we all have bad habits," Balin says, placing a hand on your shoulder "Some worse than others."

    At this, it causes everyone to turn to Bomber, who had returned to the pot of stu and was eating straight out of it. Everyone laughs at his slight embarrassed face, including you.

    "Thank you," You say quietly to Balin as everyone returns to their conversations from before

    "You're welcome dearie," Balin says with a smile "Always happy to lend a hand."

    Though things just to have gotten quite calm, it ends all too soon when shouting comes towards everyone.

    "Trolls!" Kili shouts once he's in sight

    The word seems to cause everyone around you to jump to their feet and begin to grab weapons. In all the rush you notice Bilbo still hasn't come back. In worry, you rush towards the brothers to question as to where he is.

    "Where's father?" You ask

    "Who?" Fili replies

    "Bilbo," You say in return with slight annoyance

    "Oh, we uh, sort of sent him ahead of us, to free the ponies," Kili says, trying to make it seem like it was alright

    "You what?!" You shout at him, slight anger evident in your eyes

    "Don't worry," Fili says behind you "We're going to get him."

    Don't worry? How can you not? Who knows what kind of trouble he could be in right now.