Chapter 32: Bard's Home and Weapons

After a while, you feel the barge come to a stop. Suddenly your barrel is tipped over, causing you to slide out of it along with the fish. You happily breathe in the fresh air, then get a look of disgust as you notice several scales are stuck within your hair.

    Bard then knocks over a few more barrels, but is then stopped as Dwalin pops his head out.

    "Get your hands off me," Dwalin says, causing Bard to raise his hands in defense

    You then help others get out of their barrels. Once everyone is out, you move forward and wait for Bard. He then moves to the front of everyone.

    "Stay close," He says, walking ahead

    Everyone then trails after the man who begins to lead you through the town market area.

    "Follow me," He says

    Doing as he says, everyone follows. Bobbing and weaving through different areas to avoid guards.

    Then, a few moments later, a young boy approaches Bard.

    "Da!" He says "Our house, it's being watched."

    Bard then gets a look of concern and tells Thorin something before walking away. Before you know it you are swimming through the icy water to under Bard's home. Then a knock is heard as a signal to come up. Dwalin is the first to go.

    "If you speak of this to anyone," Dwalin says "I'll rip your arms off."

    You see as the young boy goes to help Dwalin but his hand is knocked away.

    "Get off," Dwalin growls

    "Up there," The boy directs Dwalin

    You soon follow and accept the helping hand from the boy, silently thanking him with a smile and a nod.

    "Da, why are there Dwarves climbing out of our toilet?" A girl at the top of the stairs asks

    You internally gag as you realize that is where you crawled out from, and continue walking forward.

    "Will they bring us luck?" A younger girl asks innocently

    You give the girl a kind smile as you move to be by the fire. Your insides involuntarily shivering. You are then given a blanket and some dry clothes by one of the girls of which you thank her for as she moves on. Moments later, Bard speaks.

    "They may not be the best fit," He says "But they'll keep you warm."

    "A Dwarvish windlance," Thorin says quietly

    You turn to see him staring out the window. A look upon his face as if what he sees almost shouldn't be there.

    "You look like you've seen a ghost," Bilbo says, blowing on the hot drink within his hands

    "He has," Balin says, looking at Bilbo "The last time we saw such a weapon a city was on fire. It was the day the dragon came. The day that Smaug destroyed Dale. Girion, the Lord of the City, rallied his bowmen to fire upon the beast. But a dragon's hide is tough. Tougher than the strongest armor. Only a Black Arrow fired form a windlance could have pierced the dragon's hide. And few of those arrows were ever made. The store was running low when Girion made his last stand."

    "Had the aim of Men been true that day," Thorin says "Much would have been different."

    "You speak as if you were there," Bard says, approaching the three by the window

    "All Dwarves know the tale," Thorin says

    "Then you would know that Girion hit the dragon," Bard's son says "He loosened a scale under the left wing. One more shot and he would have killed the beast."

    "That's a fairy story, lad," Dwalin says with a short chuckle "Nothing more."

    "You took our money," Thorin says, stepping towards Bard "Where are the weapons?"

    "Wait here," Bard says

    He then walks away, going down the stairs to the area you had entered from. When he returns everyone gathers around the table. You watch as he drops the long, heavy, leather wrapped package onto the table and unwraps it. Only to reveal makeshift weapons. The Dwarves pick a few up, looking at them with unconvinced looks.

    "What is this?" Thorin asks holding up one of the objects

    "Pike hook," Bard answers "Made from an old harpoon."

    "And this?" Kili asks

    "A crowbill, we call it," Bard says "Fashioned from a smithy's hammer. It's heavy in hand, I grant but in defense of your life these will serve you better than none."

    "We paid you for weapons," Gloin speaks up "Iron-forged swords and axes!"

    "It's a joke!" Bofur says, tossing the object back unto the table, others following his lead

   "You won't find better outside the city armory," Bard informs everyone "All iron-forged weapons are held there under lock and key."

    "Thorin," Balin says gaining Thorin's attention "Why not take what's on offer and go? I've made do with less. So have you. I say we leave now."

    "You're not going anywhere," Bard says

    "Excuse me?" You say

    "What did you say?" Dwalin asks threateningly

    "There are spies watching this house," Bard informs "And probably every dock and wharf in the town. You must halt till nightfall."

    Some then sit, looks of disappointment on their face. You then hear someone grunt in pain very quietly. Turning you see Kili, his face awfully pale. He then reaches down to where his wound is then looks up to make sure no one sees. But his eyes connect with your worried ones. Kili stays still for a moment before looking away. Why is he acting in such a way towards you? You have done nothing wrong. At least not in what you see.