Chapter 21: Ready to Fight

(Next Chapter will be released once Chapter 35 is written)

    As you continue to run from the opening down the hill the sun begins to set. You then begin to slow down to a stop as you and the others reach a level area. Once you stop, you sheath your sword and pant lightly. You then realize Gandalf counting everyone.

    "And Bombur," Gandalf says "That makes 13."

    'Wait, 13?' You think then look around at everyone 'Bilbo?'

    "Where's Bilbo?" Gandalf asks "Where is our Hobbit? Where is our Hobbit?!"

    "Curse that Half-ling!" Dwalin says "Now he's lost? I thought he was with Dori!"

    "Don't blame me!" Dori says in defense

    "Where did you last see him?" Gandalf asks Dori

    "I think I saw him slip away when they first collared us," Nori says

    "And what happened, exactly?" Gandalf presses "Tell me!"

    "I'll tell you what happened," Thorin says, gaining everyone's attention "Master Baggins saw his chance and took it."

    "Excuse me?" You say

    "He has thought of nothing but his soft bed and his warm hearth since first he stepped out of his door," Thorin continues

    "Wait just a moment," You say

    "We will not be seeing our Hobbit again," Thorin continues "He is long gone."

    "I said wait," You begin but soon stopped by a voice behind you

    "No," Bilbo says "He isn't."

    "Bilbo!" You shout happily

    A bright smile appears on your face as you rush over and hug him. Smiles spread across the group

    "I knew you wouldn't leave," You mumble to him before pulling back

    "Bilbo Baggins," Gandalf chuckles out, taking a step forward "I have never been so glad to see anyone in my life."

    Bilbo steps toward Gandalf also, giving Balin a smile and a pat on the shoulder.

    "Bilbo," Kili says with a smile "We'd given you up."

    "How on Earth did you get past the Goblins?" Fili asks

    "How, indeed," Dwalin says aloud

    Everyone, including you, looks at Bilbo expectantly. But instead of answering, he lets out a nervous chuckle and sticks his hands into his vest-coat pockets.

    "Well, what does it matter?" Gandalf says, breaking the tension "He's back."

    "It matters," Thorin speaks up "I want to know. Why did you come back?"

    "Look, I know you doubt me," Bilbo begins "I know you always have. And you're right. I often think of Bagend. I miss my books. And my armchair and my garden. See, that's where I belong. That's home. And that's why I came back. Because you don't have one. A home. It was taken from you. But I will help you take it back if I can."

    Silence and solemn looks take over the group as Bilbo finishes. Though, the silence ends soon as the haunting howl of a Warg is heard. This causes everyone to become visibly tense.

    "Out of the frying pan," Thorin says

    "And into the fire," Gandalf says "Run. Run!"

    You follow the others and begin to run yet again. All the while the sun quickly sinks even lower Then your stomach sinks as you approach a ledge with no way to go back without being caught.

    "Up into the trees," Gandalf says "All of you! Climb! Bilbo, climb!"

    Upon hearing this, you quickly go into action. You run towards a tree, using a small boulder to push yourself up to the lowest branch. You then help a few others up into the tree with you before climbing higher. Looking at the others trees, you see that everyone has made it up into the trees, all but one, Bilbo. You look down below and see that he's struggling to reach a branch.

    Adrenaline pumps through your veins as you quickly climb down to the lowest branch, ignoring the shouts of protests. Once on the lowest branch, you swing by your knees, low enough to reach Bilbo and bring him up just in time. The two of you look at each other with wide eyes before climbing back up the tree.

    "You could've gotten the both of you killed lass!" Dwalin scolds once you're back up

    "But I didn't!" You snap back then look at him

    "What?" He asks, causing you to look away

    "Nothing," You say, then look down below

    The Wargs jump high, trying to use lower branches to climb up but they snap. They soon turn and look at something. You follow their gaze to a pale white Orc riding upon a white Warg.

    The pale Orc has many markings on his body and face with pointed ears. His left forearm, missing, with a hook like mechanism. Holding an ax like weapon on his right hand.

    He inhales deeply, leaning forward before speaking in a language you haven't heard before. Though you could tell what is being said is anything but good. The Orc then points his weapon to Thorin and says something before the Wargs continue to try to reach everyone. This time trying with all their might, nearly reaching those on lower branches.

    From the force being thrown against the tree, it begins to fall. You, along with the others in the tree, jump to the next tree which soon begins to do the same. Then again, then again, up until the last tree which is on the very edge of the cliff.

    The pale Orc laughs at the sight of this, while your heart pounds at the sight of the far drop. You turn your back from the edge and look toward where the Orcs are, then frantically look for something, anything to help without getting out of the tree.

    Out of nowhere, a flaming pinecone is thrown from above you. The Wargs quickly divert from the path of the pinecone in fear. The fire then spreads throughout the dry bushes. The Wargs begin to back off, but still, try to get close.

    Flaming pinecones are then being passed to everyone, quickly throwing them. Some hitting a Warg directly, others reaching to farther dry bushes. Cheers and laughs come from everyone as the Wargs run from throwing distance, yelping. But then everyone braces themselves and hold tight to the tree as it begins to fall.

    You hold tight to the branch you were standing on as the lower half of your body dangles over the edge. Thankfully, the roots of the tree desperately hang onto the edge of the earth it's still connected to. You look to everyone else who seems to be in the same situation as you. Well, from what you can see. You hear as Dori and Ori struggle to hold on.

    "Mr. Gandalf!" Dori shouts in desperation

    You can't see but you can assume as much as they're fine for now. Your attention is then turned to Thorin who stands on the trunk of the tree. He has his sword out, ready to fight. You watch with wide eyes as he slowing begins to charge the Orc.

     Thorin breaks out into a full run, raising his sword. But is all too soon knocked down by the Warg being ridden by the pale Orc, Azog. As soon as Thorin stands, he is once again struck down by Azog.

    Seeming to get a spark of courage, you notice as Bilbo stands on the trunk.

    "Bilbo?" You ask in confusion "Bilbo!"

    Worry breaks over your face as Bilbo runs to Thorin's aid. You soon get up yourself and carefully, and quickly walk along the trunk until someone grabs your ankle.

    "You'll be killed in an instant lass!" Dwalin shouts

    "And none of us will have a chance if we don't at least try!" You retort before continuing on

    You run over and stand beside Bilbo in front of Thorin, who is lying on the ground.

    "Come on!" You challenge

    Azog says something then three Orcs riding Wargs come towards the both of you. Not an ounce of fear or regret crosses your mind as they do so. Could this be the end for you and the others?