Chapter 39: Together Again

Once across the lake, you walk with the others to the front doors of Erebor. Though the doors barely being doors at all. As they are large boulders of rubble from when you assume Smaug burst through them. Upon seeing this, you and the others rush forward, concerned about those who went ahead.

    "Hello!" Bofur shouts "Bombur? Bifur? Anybody?"

    "Father!" You shout "Da!"

    You and the others follow closely after Bofur as he ventures further within the silent halls. Having no time to admire the craftsmanship. Only when you hear a familiar voice do you stop in your tracks.

    "Wait!" Bilbo shouts after the five of you "Wait!"

    "It's Bilbo!" Oin says

    "He's alive!" Bofur says with a smile

    "Father!" You say, immediately hugging him

    "Stop! Stop!" Bilbo says to the others, pulling away from you then goes into a whisper "Stop. You need to leave. We all need to leave."

    "We only just got here," Bofur says confused

    "Yeah, what's wrong?" You ask

    "I've tried talking, but he won't listen," Bilbo says

    "What do you mean, laddie?" Oin asks

    "Thorin!" Bilbo answers "Thorin, Thorin. He's been down there for days. He doesn't sleep. He barely eats. He's not been himself. Not at all. It's this place. I think a sickness lies on it."

    "Sickness?" You and Kili say in unison, concerned, glancing toward each other

    "What kind of sickness?" Kili asks

    Fili then moves past Bilbo, continuing on down the stairs as his eyes have locked onto something.

    "Fili," Bilbo tries to protest but it's no use "Fili! Fili!"

    You and the others follow closely behind the Dwarven Prince. After rushing down countless stairs, Fili finally begins to slow. Your eyes widening at the amount of gold before you as your feet continue leading you further down. Finally coming to a stop on a flat surface between more stairs. This being a chance for all of you to admire the glow of it all. You notice as Bofur and Oin get nostalgic smiles on their faces. As they finally get to see their home after being away for so many years.

    "Gold," Thorin says, gaining everyone's attention

    You observe as he is draped in some kind of cloak lined with fur at the edges. His face looking different even at the distance you are at from him.

    "Gold beyond measure," Thorin continues "Beyond sorrow and grief."

    His attention then turns to you and the others as he realizes you are all there.

    "Behold the great treasure hoard of Thror," He says

    Thorin then throws an object in the air, coming straight towards Fili. You watch as he catches it and reveals what it is. A large ruby, one being redder than any apple you've seen before.

    "Welcome, my sister-sons and daughter of my dear friend," Thorin says "To the Kingdom of Erebor."

    As he says this, Thorin gestures his arms to all around referring to all the mountains of gold around. Upon Thorin finishing, your concern for the King's health matches Bilbo's. Certainly, something had happened in the short time of everyone being separated.

    But there's no time to confront the issue as the others begin to look for those who had also gone ahead with Thorin and Bilbo. You all soon come upon a room, one that looks like an old dining area, to find Dwalin and Balin within.

    "Balin!" Bofur shouts in joy rushing to the older Dwarf

    "Da!" You say rushing toward Dwalin

    You take notice as a look of relief washes over both of their faces. Dwalin dragging you into a bone-crushing hug of which you greatly return. A short laugh comes from his mouth as he looks at the others seeing as everyone had survived. Shouts of joy come from the others as they all hug.

    "I thought I lost you again," Dwalin says to you quietly so only you could hear

    You pull away from him to find a small tear had escaped his eye. Gently, you wipe it away with a smile.

    "I'm not going anywhere," You say to him "You can't get rid of me that easily."

    Dwalin then returns the smile. But it is soon interrupted as someone clears their throat. This causes both of your attention to turn to the others. All of them had turned to you both with slightly confused looks upon their faces.

    "Care to explain?" Balin says, being the one to break the silence yet again

    Dwalin then clears his throat as he faces the company before him.

    "As most of you know," Dwalin begins "Before the dragon fire that drove us away from our rightful home. I had a child, a daughter. And it was presumed that within the dragon fire, that child and its mother was believed to be lost to it. Never to be seen again. But on this journey, it was proven that that was wrong. That the child was somehow saved and taken far, far away. To be raised with those of not of their kind. Only for years later to come, and eventually, be reunited with me. To return to their rightful home. The child, being (Y/N), my long lost daughter."

    At the final sentence, Dwalin drapes his arm across your shoulders bringing you into his side. You smile wide at this and look to the others. Some having smiles matching your own, some having looks of astonishment.

    Balin is the first among them to approach you, reaching a hand out to place onto your shoulder.

    "Welcome, my dear," Balin says with a wide smile "Seems you found your way home after all."

    "Yeah," You say with a nod, returning the smile "Seems so."

    The sweet moment ends soon as Thorin enters the room, beginning to demand everyone to search for the Arkenstone. Being this close makes it even more clear that his health has changed. With Thorin's eyes beginning to sink in along with dark circles. Let alone the crazed look lying within them.