Chapter 8: Wizards and Weather

The next day, the journey continues. Yet hours into the travel, rain seems to come out of no-where. Large drops pelted you everywhere. You kept your head down in order for the rain to not blur your vision.

    "Here, Mr. Gandalf, can't you do something about this deluge?" Dori asks in a complaint like tone

    "It is raining, Master Dwarf," Gandalf replies "And it will continue to rain until the rain is done. If you wish to change the weather of the world, you should find yourself another Wizard."

    "Are there any?" Bilbo asks after glancing to you

    "What?" Gandalf retorts not fully hearing what he said

    "Other Wizards," Bilbo says

    "There are five of us," Gandalf begins to answer "The greatest of our order is Saruman the White. Then there are two Blue Wizards. Do you know, I've quite forgotten their names."

    "And who is the fifth?" Bilbo asks

    "Well, that would be Radagast the Brown," Gandalf answers

    "Is he a great Wizard? Or is he more like you?" Bilbo questions

    "I think he's a very great Wizard, in his own way," Gandalf answers "He's a gentle soul who prefers the company of animals to others. He keeps a watchful eye over the vast forest lands, to the east. And a good thing too. For always evil will look to find a foothold in this world."

    There are a few moments of silence before Gandalf seems to get an idea.

    "Ah, my dear, come up by me," Gandalf says, looking at you

    With a nod, you urge your pony forward and rode beside Gandalf. Who leans down so only you can hear him.

    "I want you, to close your eyes and think back to the Shire," Gandalf whispers "On a warm summer day, not a cloud in the sky."

    You do as you're told and close your eyes. You picture the green rolling hills of the Shire. How the sun would shine against the morning dew. Cool creaks running nearby.

    All while you did this, you didn't notice as the rain lifted. Only when Gandalf let out a pleasant chuckle, did you notice the absent rain. You look around seeing satisfied smiles on all the other dwarves faces as they also realize the rain has ceased. You look to Gandalf with furrowed eyebrows.

    "How did you do that?" You ask in a whisper

    "It was not me," He answers in a defensive yet playful tone as a smile graces his lips "Must have been something or, someone else."