Chapter 22: Rescue

(Next chapter will be released once Chapter 37 is written.)

    Here you are, facing death as it slowly approaches you. You give no hint of fear, holding your sword up.

    Just as one of the Wargs go to lunge at you and Bilbo. Screams are heard approaching. Dwalin and others then attack the Wargs and Orcs in front of you.

    A moment of shock crosses you and Bilbo before you spring into action. Swinging your sword.

    All out of sudden, giant eagles appear. Knocking down trees on-top of Wargs, picking them up and dropping them off over the edge and using the wind of their wings to blow the fire onto them.

    You and others watch as one gently picks up unconscious Thorin in its feet. Soon, the same happens to you, but the eagle suddenly drops you. Thinking that you're going to fall to your death, you scream. Until you land on the back of another eagle. You quickly shift so you're sitting properly and tightly grip onto the feathers for whatever may happen.

    As you fly on the back of the eagle, cool air blows your hair back. The sun then begins to rise over the distant mountains. Getting a sense of safety, you let out a breath of air and loosen your grip on the feathers.

    "Thorin!" Fili shouts from another eagle

    Your eyes then travel to the eagle who has Thorin in its grasp. Thorin does not respond to his nephew's shout.

    A while later, everyone is let down upon a rock landing. Which is surrounded by tall green hills and beside a river. Everyone rushes to Thorin's side who was gingerly set down before anyone else. You stand beside Gandalf as he looks over Thorin. Gandalf then nudges you forward with him.

    Gandalf then glides your hand to be over Thorin's face and then gives you a look. You shift slightly not knowing what to do. Then, you begin to mumble a few words in a language you didn't even know you spoke. It's like you knew what to do once guided.

    You soon pull your hand away as Thorin's eyes flutter open. He looks at you first then to Gandalf then back to you.

    "You and the Half-ling?" He whispers to you

    "It's alright," Gandalf says beside you "They're both here. Both quite safe."

    You stand up straight with Gandalf then stand beside Bilbo. Thorin then struggles to stand but gets the help from Kili and Dwalin, who he soon shakes off.

    "You two!" Thorin says "What were you doing? You both nearly got yourselves killed! Did I not say that you both would be a burden? That neither of you would survive in the wild? And had no place among us?"

    Despite Thorin from nearly dying himself, you feel a spark of anger from within. How could he say such things?

    He then glances at you and Bilbo, who is looking away.

     "I have never been so wrong in all my life," Thorin says, bringing both you and Bilbo into a tight hug

    A look of shock crosses over both yours and Bilbo's faces at this as laughs and cheers and bright smiles come from everyone else.

    "I am sorry I doubted both of you," Thorin says, once he broke apart from the hug

    "No, I would have doubted me too," Bilbo says

    "As would I at most times," You say

    "I'm not a hero," Bilbo says "Or a warrior. Not even a burglar."

    Thorin smiles at you both before his eyes drift behind. A look crossing his face. You and Bilbo both turn to see what he's looking at.

    "Is that what I think it is?" Bilbo asks, gaining everyone's attention

    To get a better look, everyone climbs to the edge of the inclined rock.

    "Erebor," Gandalf says "The Lonely Mountain, the last of the great Dwarf kingdoms of Middle-Earth."

    "Our home," Thorin says

    As you looked out to the mountain, the sun is still rising. Causing a mixture of blue, orange, purple, and yellow in the sky with pink tinted clouds.

    "A raven!" Oin exclaims as he spots a bird flying by "The birds are returning to the mountain."

    As the bird flies it twitters happily.

    "That, my dear Oin," Gandalf says "Is a Thrush."

    "But we'll take it as a sign," Thorin says, following the bird with his eyes "A good omen."

    "You're right," Bilbo says beside you "I do believe the worst is behind us."

    Could that be true? Could the worst of this journey be behind? Or could what has happened, be merely the beginning?