Chapter 31: Entering Laketown

As the barge crosses the lake, chunks of ice float in the water and fog rolls in. A small shiver runs through your body at the cold of the air.

    "Watch out!" Bofur shouts from the front

    Ahead are tall stone structures, all not fully intact. The man weaves the barge between them with ease. As you pass by, you look at the stone. Plants and moss growing over them.

    "What are you trying to do, drown us?" Thorin asks the man

    "I was born and bred on these water, Master Dwarf," The man answers "If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here."

    "Oh, I've had enough of this lippy Lakeman," Dwalin says "I say we throw him over the side and be done with it."

    "Da," You warn quietly

    "Bard, his name's Bard," Bilbo says

    "How do you know?" Bofur asks

    "Uh, I asked him," Bilbo replies sassily, causing you to chuckle

    "I don't care what he calls himself," Dwalin says "I don't like him."

    "We do not have to like him," Balin says "We simply have to pay him. Come on now, lads. Turn out your pockets."

    At this, the Dwarves grumble and start turning out their pockets pulling out coins from various pockets.

    "How do we know he won't betray us?" Dwalin asks quietly

    "We don't," Thorin replies

    You stand beside Balin as he counts the money and silently count along with him. You then notice that the money is short by some.

    "There's uh," Balin says quickly recounting "Just a wee problem. We're 10 coins short."

    "Gloin," Thorin says, gaining the Dwarf's attention "Come on. Give us what you have."

    "Don't look to me," Gloin says, protesting "I have been bled dry by this venture. What have I seen for my investment? Naught but misery and grief and..."

    Gloin then stops realizing everyone is looking off into the distance. You follow their gaze to the mountain of Erebor. The view of it much closer than you have seen before as it comes into light through the fog.

    "Bless my beard," Gloin says "Take it. Take all of it."

    Gloin then hands over a small leather bag filled with coins. Plenty to fill in the missing coins. Bilbo then clears his throat as Bard approaches everyone.

    "The money, quick. Give it to me," Bard says

    "We will pay you when we get our provisions but not before," Thorin replies

    "If you value your freedom you'll do as I say," Bard retorts "There are guards ahead."

    You then look forward to seeing the very edges of Laketown. Still not very visible through the fog but you can still make out buildings. As the barge gets closer everyone loads into a barrel. You getting your individual this time since extra barrels had come down the river.

    "What's he doing?" Dwalin asks from a separate barrel

    "He's talking to someone," Bilbo replies from another barrel "He's pointing right at us. Now they're shaking hands."

    "What?" Thorin asks in disbelief

    "The villain," Dwalin spits "He's selling us out."

    Footsteps then approach the barrels, creaking of machinery is heard. Then, cold, wet, dead fish are dumped into the barrels with everyone within them. The smell almost unbearable. As the barge moves along you plug your nose and breathe through your mouth some while the others groan at the smell. Bard kicks one of the barrels to shut them up.

    "Quiet," Bard says "We're approaching the tollgate."

    At this, the Dwarves silence themselves. Moments later muffled talking is heard.

    "Halt!" Someone shouts "Goods inspection! Papers, please! Oh, it's you, Bard."

    "Morning, Percy," Bard says

    "Anything to declare?" Percy asks

    "Nothing, but that I am cold and tired and ready for home," Bard says

    "You and me both," Percy replies

    A sound of something being stamped is heard off the barge.

    "There we are," Percy says "All in order."

    "Not so fast," A new voice says "'Consignment of empty barrels from the Woodland Realm'. Only, they're not empty, are they, Bard? If I recall correctly, you're licensed as a bargeman. Not a fisherman."

    "That's none of your business," Bard says

    "Wrong," The voice says "It's the Master's business, which makes it my business."

    "Oh, come on, Alfrid have a heart," Bard says "People need to eat."

    "These fish are illegal," Alfrid says, tossing what you think is a fish into the water "Empty the barrels over the side."

    "You heard him," Another voice says "In the canal. Come on. Get a move on."

    Footsteps approach the barrels, then drag them to the side and tilt them. This causes the fish to start sliding out of the barrel. You feel your barrel tilt, so you put your hands on the sides to not fall out along with the fish.

    "Folk in this town are struggling," Bard says "Times are hard. Food is scarce."

    "That's not my problem," Alfrid says

    "And when the people hear the Master is dumping fish back in the lake," Bard says "When the rioting starts, will it be your problem then?"

    "Stop," Alfrid says after a moment

    Your barrel is then brought right-side-up again. You let out a silent sigh of relief at this and continue to keep still and listen to whatever is going on.

    "Ever the people's champion eh, Bard?" Alfrid says "Protector of the common folk. You might have their favor now, bargeman, but it won't last."

    "Raise the gate!" Percy says

    "The Master has his eye on you," Alfrid says "You'd do well to remember: We know where you live."

    "It's a small town, Alfrid," Bard replies "Everyone knows where everyone lives."

    And with that, the company is successfully smuggled into Laketown. Only questions are, will proper weapons be offered? How will everyone get out, and finally reach Erebor?