Chapter 24: The Path Through Mirkwood

(Next chapter will be released once Chapter 41 is written.)

    The next morning, you awake to find everyone at the table. Beorn, as a man, standing beside it.

    Beorn's man form is very tall. Taller than any Elf. His hair, brown, straggly but somehow kept back. His eyebrows long, going into his hair. Beorn's face is oval like shape, dirt patches covering it and his arms. His eyes, animalistic, and a dirty brown/gold color. On either side of his jawline are two long patches of facial hair. He wears a leather vest and cloth shorts.

    You watch him for a moment before sitting down with the others.

    "So you are the one they call Oakenshield," Beorn says to Thorin "Tell me, why is Azog the Defiler hunting you?"

    "You know of Azog?" Thorin asks "How?"

    "My people were the first to live in the mountains," Beorn begins "Before the Orcs came down from the North. The Defiler killed most of my family. But some he enslaved. Not for work, you understand, but for sport. Caging skin-changers and torturing them seemed to amuse him."

    "There are others like you?" Bilbo asks as Beorn pours some liquid into Ori's cup

    "Once there were many," Beorn says

    "And now?" Bilbo asks

    "Now there is only one," Beorn answers, looking at Bilbo "You need to reach the mountain before the last days of autumn."

    "Before Durin's Day falls," Gandalf says, nodding "Yes."

    "You are running out of time," Beorn points out

    "Which is why we must go through Mirkwood," Gandalf says

    "A darkness lies upon that forest," Beorn says "Fell things creep beneath those trees. I would not venture there except in great need."

    "We will take the Elven Road," Gandalf informs Beorn "That path is still safe."

    "'Safe'?" Beorn repeats "The Wood Elves of Mirkwood are not like their kin. They're less wise and more dangerous. But it matters not."

    "What do you mean?" Thorin asks

    "These lands are crawling with Orcs," Beorn says "Their numbers are growing. And you are on foot. You will never reach the forest alive."

    Silence takes over everyone as Beorn stands and walks towards Thorin.

    "I don't like Dwarves," Beorn says "They're greedy and blind. Blind to the lives of those they deem lesser than their own."

    You couldn't help but feel anger bubbling inside you. You fought in not saying anything, fearing of what Beorn will do. But your anger goes away at his next statement.

    "But Orcs I hate more," Beorn says "What do you need?"

    Minutes later, everyone is saddling up onto ponies. As you wait for Gandalf, you feel a pair of eyes on you. You then turn your head, your eyes instantly meeting Kili's. He seems like he's going to say something for a moment, but then he looks away, talking to Fili.

    "Kili," You say, gaining his attention "Something the matter?"

    At this, Kili shakes his head.

    "No, nothing the matter," He answers calmly before turning back to Fili

    For the past few weeks, you've noticed Kili acting differently. And you have not the slightest clue why. Though, you do not have time to dwell on it as Gandalf soon mounts his horse and urges it to run. You and others follow suit.

    As you ride through green lands, you keep your eyes ahead as to not distract yourself. Soon, everyone reaches the edge of Mirkwood. It is just as described. Trees alive, but dead looking, black. Branches over growing on the entry way and table.

    "Here lies our path through Mirkwood," Gandalf says to everyone after observing it

    "No sign of the Orcs," Dwalin says "We have luck on our side."

    Everyone then begins to dismount, collecting their items they had strapped to the back of the saddles.

    "Set the ponies loose," Gandalf says "Let them return to their master."

    "This forest feels," Bilbo says

    "Sick," You finish for him while standing beside him

    "As if a disease lies upon it," Bilbo says "Is there no way around?"

    "If there is, we'd go way off course," You say

    "(Y/N) is correct," Gandalf says "We would have to go 200 miles North. Or twice that distance, South."

    Gandalf then goes a bit a way into the trail. You wait for everyone to gather their belongings. Then, just as Nori is about to send off Gandalf's horse, he comes into sight.

    "Not my horse!" Gandalf commands "I need it!"

    Everyone then turns to Gandalf in confusion.

    "You're not leaving us?" Bilbo asks

    "I would not do this unless I had to," Gandalf says then turns to you and Bilbo "You've changed, both of you. Neither of you are the same from when you left the Shire."

    "I was going to tell you," Bilbo says, seeming to try to confess something "I... found something in the Goblin tunnels."

    "Found what?" Gandalf asks as you both look at Bilbo confused "What did you find?"

    "My courage," Bilbo answers

    "Good," Gandalf says "Well, that's good. And you know what you found."

    You give Gandalf a nod along with a smile, of which he returns. Gandalf then begins to walk to his horse.

    "What is he going on about?" Bilbo asks you

    "I'll explain later," You answer "Now's not the time."

    Bilbo nods at this, then turns his head as Gandalf speaks.

    "I'll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor," Gandalf says "Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me. This is not the Greenwood of old. There is a stream in the woods that carries a dark enchantment. Do not touch the water. Cross only by the stone bridge. The very air of the forest is heavy with illusion. It'll seek to enter your mind and lead you astray."

    "'Lead us astray'?" Bilbo repeats "What does that mean?"

    "You must stay on the path," Gandalf informs "Do not leave it. If you do, you'll never find it again. No matter what may come, stay on the path!"

    "Come on," Thorin urges "We must reach the mountain before the sun sets on Durin's Day."

    At this, everyone follows after Thorin into the wood.

    "It is our one chance to find the hidden door," Thorin says

    After a while of walking, Thorin kicks a few leaves aside at the front of the group.

    "The path turns this way," He announces before turning down the path

    When you reach the turning the point, you look at it pointedly but follow anyway. Could this really be the path? Or could it be a lure to lead those away?