Chapter 11: Trolls

You followed everyone into the woods to where the Trolls are. As you did so, you stayed by Fili and Kili. Once you came upon where they are keeping the ponies, you stay hidden in the bushes. Watch as they debate on what Bilbo is, talk of cooking and eating him, then one of them pick him up and dangle in the air.

    Just as you were going to rush out and try to distract the three giant Trolls, Kili pushes you back and does so himself. Swinging his sword at the ankle of the slimmer one of the trolls. Causing it to squeal and shout in pain and surprise.

    "Drop him!" Kili demands as the Troll falls

    "You what?" the Troll holding Bilbo says

    "I said," Kili pauses, spinning the sword in his hand "Drop him."

    At this, the Troll throws Bilbo at Kili, causing the both of them to fall to the ground. The moment Bilbo was safe, out of the Trolls' clutches, everyone runs out of the bushes, charging the trolls.

    In the rush of things, you find your way to Bilbo.

    "Father, are you alright?" You ask

    "Yes, I-I'm fine," He replies "We have to get that knife."

    You look to where he's pointing and nod.

    The both of you bob and weave between legs and the Dwarves. When you reach the giant knife, you help Bilbo lift it and begin to cut the ropes to the pen holding the ponies.

    Once the ponies are freed, neither you nor Bilbo notice one of the Trolls coming up behind you until it was too late. You were lifted into the air then handed to the slimmer Troll. Desperately, you wanted to shout out to the others, but you couldn't as you were being held so tight you could barely breathe.

    Moments later, they turn to see you and Bilbo being held by the Trolls. Though, Bilbo was being held by his limbs by the other two Trolls.

    "Bilbo! (Y/N)!" Kili shouts, rushing towards the Trolls only to be stopped by his uncle

    "Don't!" Thorin says harshly

    "Lay down your arms," one of the Trolls holding Bilbo begins to demand "Or we'll rip his off."

    "Yeah," the one holding you says "And this one's head 'll pop off too."

    Once finished, the Troll holding you squeezes a bit tighter, causing a wheeze to come out of you.

    The Dwarves glance at each other, waiting for Thorin to give the order to attack. But to their surprise, he stabs his sword into the ground. To their distain, the Dwarves follow suit and drop their swords and weapons.

    As soon as everyone did as ordered, half of them were put into bags, the other half tied to a log which is now rotating over the fire. As for you and Bilbo, you both were put into bags also. Thrown into a pile with the other Dwarves.

    The moment the grip on your body was released you gasp for air before coughing a few times. Then, you listen to the Trolls as they argue over how to cook everyone.

    "Don't bother cooking them," One of them says "Let's just sit on them and squash them into jelly."

    "They should be sautéed and grilled with a sprinkle of sage," Another says as he rotates the log with the Dwarves on it

    "That does sound quite nice," the one from before agrees

    "Never mind the seasoning," the last one says "We ain't got all night. Dawn ain't far away. Let's get a move on. I don't fancy being turned to stone."

    Hearing this, Bilbo seems to get an idea.

    "Wait!" Bilbo exclaims "You are making, a terrible mistake."

    "You can't reason with them!" Dori shouts to Bilbo from the log "They're halfwits!"

    "Halfwits?" Bofur repeats, also on the log "What does that make us?"

    You turn your head to look at Bilbo who stands the best he can in the burlap sack then struggles to make his way through the pile of Dwarves.

    "I meant with," Bilbo says "The seasoning."

    "What about the seasoning?" One of the Trolls asks, leaning down a bit

    "Well, have you smelt them?" Bilbo asks "You're gonna need something stronger than sage before you plate this lot up."

    With this statement, the Dwarves around you angrily shout at Bilbo.

    "What do you know about cooking Dwarf?" the Troll rotating the log questions

    "Shut up," the Troll closest to Bilbo says "Let the uhm, flurgaburburhobbit talk."

    "The secret to cooking Dwarf is," Bilbo starts but pauses to think

    "Yes?" the Troll in front of him urges "Come on. Tell us the secret."

    "It's uh," Bilbo stutters "Yes, I'm telling you. The secret is, tooooooo skin them first"

    Now this, causing every single Dwarf to wriggle in the bags and on the log. Shouting threats to Bilbo.

    "Tom," the Troll in front of Bilbo says, holding his hand out "Get me filleting knife."

    More threats come to Bilbo as the Dwarves try to free themselves.

    "What a load of rubbish," the Troll turning the log says "I've eaten plenty with their skins on. Scarf them, I say boots and all."

    "He's right," the slimmer troll, Tom, says, getting up and walking over "Nothing wrong with a bit of raw Dwarf."

    Once he reaches the pile of Dwarves, Tom picks up Bomber by his feet and holds him over his head.

    "Nice and crunchy," Tom says, opening his mouth to swallow Bomber

    "Oh, not that one," Bilbo stutters out "He's infected."

    "Huh?" Tom says, turning his head to look at Bilbo

    "You what?" the Troll turning the log says

    "Yeah, he's got worms.... in his.... tubes," Bilbo says

    "Eww!" Tom exclaims, tossing bomber back onto the pile of Dwarves just missing you

    "In fact, they all have," Bilbo claims "They're infested with parasites. It's a terrible business. I wouldn't risk it. I wouldn't."

    At this, the Dwarves shout protests at Bilbo. Saying that they don't have parasites. Causing Bilbo to get a defeated look on his face. Upon now realizing what Bilbo is doing Thorin kicks one of the other Dwarves to silence everyone. Of which this causes a chain reaction of realization. And also, now confessions of having parasites.

    "What would you have us do, then?" the one turning the log questions as he steps towards Bilbo "Let them all go?"

    "Well," Bilbo begins but is cut off

    "You think I don't know what you're up to?" the Troll asks as he pushes Bilbo "This little ferret is taking us for fools."

    "Ferret?" Bilbo asks offended

    "Fools?" the other one asks

    "The dawn will take you all," Gandalf says, seeming to come out of nowhere upon a boulder

    "Who's that?" one of the Trolls ask

    "No idea," the other replies

    "Can we eat him too?" Tom asks

    Then, with a single stamp of Gandalf's staff into the boulder, it splits in two revealing the daylight to the trolls. With contact of the light of the sun, the Trolls shout in pain as they slowly turn into stone. Had it not been for Bilbo to distract the trolls and Gandalf to show up when he did. Who knows what would have been the fate of everyone.