Chapter 30: The Barge-Man with a Bow

As you sit, you ring out whatever water you can out of your clothes. As you finish you hear light footsteps approaching. You put a hand on Dwalin's arm silently warning him by shifting your eyes behind the both of you. You turn your body first to see a man.

    With the light in your eyes, you can't make out what he looks like. But you can see that he carries a bow and arrow and is looking right at Ori who is sitting nearby. Instinct takes over your body before you can think and you jump in front of him protectively. Dwalin does the same to you, holding up a long branch as a defense.

    Though as Dwalin goes to advance towards the man, he shoots an arrow. It hitting the center of the branch, seeming as a warning to back off. The man then shoots an arrow towards Kili, knocking a rock from his hand. Another arrow is drawn, being aimed at anyone who may pose the next threat.

    "Do it again," The man warns "And you're dead."

    "Excuse me," Balin speaks up "But you're from Lake-Town if I'm not mistaken. That barge over there it wouldn't be available for hire, by any chance?"

    A little while later the man is loading the barrels onto his barge one by one.

    "What makes you think I would help you?" He questions as he does so

    "Those boots have seen better days," Balin says "As has that coat. No doubt you have some hungry mouths to feed. How many bairns?"

    "A boy and two girls," The man answers

    "And a wife, I imagine she's a beauty," Balin says, in an attempt to flatter the man

    "Aye," The man says, pausing in the process "She was."

    The smile on Balin's face disappears when he hears this, almost immediately regretting what he said.

    "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to," Balin begins to apologize but Dwalin speaks up

    "Oh, come on, come on," Dwalin says "Enough of the niceties."

    "Da," You breathe, looking at him

    "What's your hurry?" The man asks

    "What's it to you?" Dwalin asks

    "I would like to know who you are," The man replies "And what you are doing in these lands."

    "We are simple merchants from the Blue Mountains," Balin says, lying "Journeying to see our kin in the Iron Hills."

    "Simple merchants, you say?" The man says, seeming to not believe Balin

    "We need food," Thorin says "Supplies, weapons. Can you help us?"

    "I know where these barrels came from," The man says, running his finger over one of the marks on the barrel

    "What of it?" Thorin retorts

    "I don't know what business you had with the Elves," The man says "But I don't think it ended well. No one enters Lake-Town but by leave of the Master. All his wealth comes from trade with the Woodland Realm. He would see you in irons before risking the wrath of King Thranduil."

    "Offer him more," Thorin whispers quietly to Balin

    "I'll wager there are ways to enter that town unseen," Balin says

    "Aye," The man confirms "But for that, you would need a smuggler."

    "For which we would pay, double," Balin offers

    This seems to intrigue the man. Will he help? Or will he continue to turn down the offer and leave you to fend for yourselves?