Chapter 43: Only the Beginning

Early morning is when you and Kili were awoken. Soon to be standing at the gate, row after row of Elven soldiers already awaiting close to the gate. Fili and Kili stand on either side of Thorin as you stand beside Dwalin. Soon, Thranduil and Bard approach the front of the soldiers. Thranduil riding on the back of a great elk while Bard is on the horse form before. As they approach through the crowd, the soldiers step to the side quickly before falling back into line.

    Once they make it through, the pair continues to approach but they get too close for Thorin's comfort. He then proceeds to swiftly shoot an arrow at the feet of the elk, halting both it and Bard's horse.

    "I will put the next one between your eyes," Thorin states confidently

    The Dwarves then shout indistinct yelling in agreement to the statement. Thranduil smiling coldly in reaction to this before a hard look slowly takes over. Then, in complete unison, the army of soldiers move. Notching arrows into their bows and aiming them to where you all stand. This quickly changes the tune of the shouts as they turn int0 slight fear; everyone but Thorin ducking down for cover. Then a sound of them moving again can be heard before Thranduil finally speaks.

    "We have come to tell you payment of your debt has been offered and accepted," He says as everyone stands fully again

    "What payment?" Thorin asks "I gave you nothing. You have nothing."

    Thranduil slightly raises his eyebrows at this before looking to Bard. Bard then reaches into his inner coat pocket before bringing out a glowing stone. One of which looks like a falling star was captured within it to be displayed for all to see. At the sight of it, something within you tells you that, that is what you have been searching for within the never-ending mountains of gold.

    "We have this," Bard says, eyeing the stone then holding it up

    Thorin then lowers his bow, the hard look on his face wavering as he realizes what they have.

    "They have the Arkenstone," Kili says, confirming your assumption "Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house?! That stone belongs to the King!"

    "And the King may have it," Bard replies, giving the stone a light toss into the air before returning it to the pocket from before "With our goodwill. But first, he must honor his word."

    "They are taking us for fools," Thorin claims quietly, shaking his head "This is a ruse. A filthy lie. The Arkenstone is in this mountain! It is a trick!"

    "I-It's no trick," Bilbo stutters out as he approaches

    "Father?" You say but Bilbo doesn't look at you as he speaks

    "The stone is real," He continues "I gave it to them."

    A mixed look of anger, disappointment, and almost pain comes across Thorin's face as he looks at Bilbo. Your own eyes filled with pain and slight betrayal as you watch Bilbo.

    "You?" Thorin breathes loudly

    "I took it as my 15thshare," Bilbo states, glancing down and finding it hard to meet anyone's let alone Thorin's eyes

    "You would steal from me?" Thorin asks

    "Steal from you?" Bilbo repeats "No. No, I may be a burglar, but I like to think I'm an honest one. I'm willing to let it stand against my claim."

    "Against your claim?" Thorin now repeats, gaining an almost crazed look "Your claim. You have no claim over me, you miserable rat!"

    "I was going to give it to you," Bilbo admits "Many times I wanted to, but-."