Chapter 25: Darkness

(Next chapter will be released once Chapter 43 is written.)

    Hours and hours have passed. Light has turned to dark. But that is the least of your worries.

    For a while now, your sight has started to get fuzzy around the edges. Your mind couldn't keep straight. Though you keep to yourself, seeing as everyone else seemed to be doing fine.

    "We found the bridge," Someone up ahead says

    "Bridge," Someone else repeats

    Once reached, everyone finds the middle of the bridge broken. No way to even jump across without falling into the dark water.

    "We could try and swim it," Bofur suggests

    "Didn't you hear what Gandalf said?" Thorin questions "A dark magic lies upon this forest. The waters of this stream are enchanted."

    "Doesn't look very enchanting to me," Bofur says, looking at the water

    "We must find another way across," Thorin says

    You watch the black water, parts of it having air bubbling to the top.

    "These vines look strong enough," You hear Kili say

    "Kili!" Thorin shouts to his nephew "We send the lightest first."

    At this statement, you and Bilbo turn to see all eyes on the both of you. You both sigh lightly and walking over to where Fili and Kili are. You motion for Bilbo to go before you, seeing as he is shorter than you. He then gives you a look before stepping down to a long, thick branch that reaches across the water. All the while gripping tight to a vine that hangs down low.

    "It's all right," Bilbo says, taking a couple steps forward "Can't see any problem."

    As soon as he finishes this, Bilbo's foot slips and he flips upside down on the branch, hanging by his legs.

    "Father!" You say worriedly

    "There's one," Bilbo says calmly "Everything's fine."

    Bilbo then flips his body around, grabbing the lower part of the vine. By doing this, his body is now upright. He then stretches his body to another vine. Bilbo pauses there for a moment, staring into the water before continuing on. Quickly jumping from vine to vine before finally reaching the other side. Once he's on the other side, you and everyone else start making your way to the other side.

    "Stay where you are!" Bilbo shouts, but it's too late

    As soon as you reach to where Bilbo and Thorin are, you hear a splash from behind you. You turn to see Bombur in the water on his back, asleep. You watch as others pick him up and put him on a makeshift lift.

    Another few hours pass. Everyone stops momentarily to take a rest. Though, the haze in your mind seems to be affecting others too. Dizziness has also taken over. You can't hear what others are saying right away.

    Soon, Thorin storms off in a different direction. Demanding to follow him. Little did you know, he was going off the path. You and others followed him anyway. Minutes later, everyone is spread out looking for the path once again, but unable to. At this everyone decides to just continue forward, figuring that there must be the point at which there is an exit.

    Then everyone begins to argue about direction, which way was East.

    "The sun," Bilbo says "We need to get above the canopy."

    Though, no one listens and begin to fight. You try to help break it up but it's no use. Then you feel arms wrap around your waist and pick you up, placing you away from the stubborn Dwarves. When you look you see Kili closest to you as he continues to try what you were doing. But then everyone stops as Thorin shouts over them.

    "Enough! Quiet! All of you!" Thorin shouts then turns to everyone "We're being watched."

    Hearing this, everyone gets into their protective circle. You join them, standing in between Fili and Kili. Kili then turns his head to you.

    "(Y/N), if anything happens," Kili says then hesitates

    "Yes?" You say, looking at him

    He watches you for a second before sighing deeply and kissing your forehead. Though it doesn't seem in a sibling or friend like kind of way. There seems to be something more behind it. You smile at the thought of this. Him returning your smile is the last thing you see before you feel pain on the side of your back, and darkness.