Chapter 48: The Battle's End

One by one as Orcs approach you, their demise ending with fire or by your burning red sword. Soon, you reach the edge of the frozen river and spot Thorin as he walks and watches something below the ice. But this doesn't last long as he lets out a yell in pain and falling backward as Azog jumps from the ice. You make your way towards the pair as Thorin blocks Azog's strikes. He then blocks a stab but does not force it away as he is unable to from such an angle. Your pace picking up the closer the tip gets to Thorin's chest. Neither of them noticing you as you do.

    Then, right as Thorin is about to give way, you strike at Azog and make a rather deep gash in his upper thigh. This catches the Orc off guard as he stumbles back and falls to a knee becoming level with you. His confusion giving you just enough time to make the final blow. With all the strength you can, you swing your sword down. The final expression of wide blue eyes of shock comes from the Orc before his head slowly rolls off, his body soon following as it falls to its back.

    You then slowly roll your shoulders back as to stand straight again. Watching blankly as black blood pours from the body and some from the head.

    "(Y/N)?" Bilbo says from behind you

    You turn to face him, only now seeing him, Balin, and Dwalin as they help Thorin stand. All eyes looking at you with a mix of concern and confusion.

    "Are you alright?" Bilbo asks hesitantly

    You simply look at him with a blank expression, as his voice seemed so distant and muffled to you. Your vision blurred as well, other than the faces of those before you.

    "Azra:d," Dwalin says as he takes a cautious step toward you, causing Thorin to rely only on Balin "Where's Kili?"

    Suddenly, it was like everything was clear. The blurred view disappearing and all sound returning at once. You take in a sharp breath as the coldness of the air becomes aware to you again. Only now noticing that all feeling had become numb to you. Your eyes and complexion returning to what they were before. You then look to the side as tears now blur your eyes. The sight of what happened to Kili replaying in your mind over and over. A hand on your shoulder is what then snaps you out of it, Bilbo being the one to do it. One look at him and you come crashing down. Falling over into his arms as the sobs come from your body are too much.

    His tight hold calms you only slightly. Bilbo then slowly sinks to the ground with you in his arms. You then feel Dwalin's hand as he does his best to smooth down your hair from your face and wipe whatever tears away but it's no avail. You don't notice as the rest of the Dwarves come, watching, not knowing what to do as you lay in Bilbo's arms while jumbled words pour from your lips. Trying to tell them what had happened.

    What feels like hours but only minutes pass by, you are just beginning to calm down as another pair of arms wrap around your middle and pull you into their chest. The familiar feeling from cold nights confusing you as you slowly look up. Chocolate brown eyes staring back into your own, tears within them as well.

    "Kili?" You breathe confused, putting your hands on his cheeks to make sure he was real "Kili?!"

    "It's me, love," Kili says, holding you tighter and bringing his forehead to yours "I'm here."

    Kili then brings his hand to yours, guiding it to his chest where the wound was. Only for your hand to meet skin, the hole still remaining in the cloth. While your hand remains there, Kili then wipes your tears away while one arm securely holds you tight to him.

    "I'm not going anywhere," Kili states quietly as you fully lean into him, head resting against his shoulder

    At that moment, finally, there was a feeling of peace. Giving you a sign that the journey was over and it was in favor of you and the company. And finally, the Lonely Mountain was rightfully claimed by the Dwarves yet again.