Chapter 34: Health and Thankfulness

The next morning comes and everyone wakes early. Last night the Dwarves celebrated with a few the townspeople. Bofur seeming to drink more than others but you hadn't stayed to find out.

    As you walk to the boat through the crowd, everyone is dressed in armor as if going straight into battle. Some wearing metal helmets, others with nothing on their head.

    "You do know we're one short," Bilbo says "Where's Bofur?"

    "If he's not here, we leave him behind," Thorin says

    "We'll have to," Balin injects "If we're to find the door before nightfall, we can risk no more delays."

    The company then reaches the boat, loading into it. Thorin stays off to the side taking into account who steps onto it.

    "Not you," He says, putting his arm in front of Kili to stop him "We must travel at speed. You will slow us down."

    "What are you talking about?" Kili asks in slight disbelief "I'm coming with you."

    "Not now," Thorin responds

    Both yours and Fili's attention is turned to the conversation between the two. Kili suddenly gets a sad yet slight angry look on his face.

    "I'm going to be there when that door is opened," Kili says with determination "When we first look upon the Halls of our Fathers, Thorin."

    "Kili, stay here," Thorin says lowly "Rest. Join us when you're healed."

    A look of disappointment crosses over Kili's eyes. He then shifts back to sit on a couple of boxes that are nearby. His eyes meet with yours for a moment before they go to the ground.

    "I'll stay with the lad," Oin says, stepping off the boat "My duty lies with the wounded."

    "Uncle," Fili says a bit quiet "We grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You cannot take that away from him!"

    "Fili," Thorin says

    "I will carry him if I must!" Fili says

    "One day you will be king and you will understand," Thorin says to Fili "I cannot risk this quest for the sake of one Dwarf. Not even my own kin."

    At the sight of his brother, Fili huffs and steps back onto the docks.

    "Fili, don't be a fool," Thorin says grabbing his arm "You belong with the company."

    "I belong with my brother," Fili retorts, pulling away from Thorin

    You soon follow, stepping onto the deck but you're stopped by someone grabbing your hand.

    "What are you doing lass?" Dwalin asks having you look at him "This is your chance to see the halls of your true people first hand."

    "What?" Bilbo asks confused by overhearing the statement

    A sigh escapes your mouth as you look at the both of them.

    "Father," You say, looking at Bilbo "After years and years of wondering where I came from, what I am. I found the answer on this journey. My original home is with the Dwarves of Erebor. But that does not change that you are the reason I am the person who I am today."

    A look of shock then a small smile crosses Bilbo's face. A smile that you then return then look to Dwalin.

    "And Da," You say "I grew up in the quiet rolling hills of the Shire. Not knowing the legends of Erebor until everyone showed up on our doorstep and ate all our food. So why should I be one of the ones to see it before they do? I will join you both there soon. But for now, my duty lies here to help."

    You kiss each of them on the forehead before looking at them both.

    "You both look after each other," You say "Though, Bilbo may need it more."

    Bilbo opens his mouth to protest but then closes it and nods. This causes you to chuckle along with Dwalin.

    "You know," Dwalin says then looks to Bilbo "I'd just like to say, while we have a short time. I'd like to thank you for raising her. I thought I lost her and her mother forever. But here she is, alive and well, thanks to you."

    "You're welcome," Bilbo stutters out then looks to you with a sense of pride on his face "It was my pleasure. She taught me a great deal during those past years. Things I'll never forget."

    A bright smile breaks across your face and you pull the both of them in for a hug. They both hug you back. Before anything else can be said a fanfare plays and cheers all around spread.

    "Be cautious," You say over the crowd, stepping away

    You turn your attention to the Master as he stands on a tall platform.

    "Go now with our goodwill and good wishes," the Master says "And may your return bring good fortune to all!"

    With that the Dwarves are off, padding the boat down the canal. Some waving goodbye to townsfolk. You give a small wave to Bilbo and Dwalin of which they return. Your attention is then turned to Bofur as he bursts through the crowd, the boat now too far down for anyone to reach. He then notices you and the others.

    "Ha. So you missed the boat as well?" Bofur asks

    Though, you pay no mind to his question as you notice Kili leaning forward enough for him to fall.

    "Kili? Kili!" You and Fili say worried and catch him before he falls

    "Kili," You say kneeling down "Kili, look at me."

    Kili then follows your orders and slowly looks at you. Only then do you realize how pale his skin is compared to his normal slightly tanned look. His eyes sunken in like he hasn't eaten for weeks. His deep brown eyes don't have that mischief like twinkle. Whatever has happened to him having to do with the arrow to his thigh, it's far from anything you've seen before.

    What could be causing this though? Will these be the last few hours see Kili alive? If so, is the condition of you two talking how you want to remember him by?