Chapter 29: Rapids and Orcs

As your barrel approaches the closed gate, you look up to the top of the small bridge. Only to see one of the Elves be killed by an arrow. Your eyes widen at the sight of an Orc coming over the top of the structure. Others follow it, killing the Elves. An Orc jumped into the water onto someone else's barrel. Though it is soon killed.

    "Stay down (Y/N)," Fili says, pushing you lower into the barrel protectively

    You do as told and stay down. The barrel jerking around as the water moves and as Fili fights off any Orc that comes near.

    "Kili!" Fili shouts worriedly a few moments later

    Your head then snaps up to where Kili is up on the ledge. An arrow sticking out of his right thigh. Worry reaches your eyes even further as he struggles to pull the lever to set the door.

    "Kili!" You shout as Kili falls onto his back

    Your eyes then snap to an Orc that starts running towards Kili. But it is soon killed by an arrow coming out of no-where. Kili then turns his head to where it came from. You follow his gaze to see Tauriel. You watch as she kills another Orc that was advancing towards Kili.

    You then feel something inside yourself twist as Kili struggles to get up. He then stands and pulls the lever then falls onto his back once again. The gate then opens and one by one the barrels fall down another short waterfall. Both yours and Fili's attention is then turned to the above ledge as Kili shift over the side of it.

    "Kili!" Fili says

    Kili then falls back into his barrel. The snap of the arrow breaking from his leg, sickening. You have almost no time to worry as your barrel now falls over the waterfall.

    More short waterfalls follow this one. You decide since you have no way to fight, to stay low. Sounds of fighting, screeches of Orcs, the Dwarves shouting to each other and rushing water is all you hear.

    As time passes the sound of fighting stops and the pace of the barrel movements begin to slow. You raise your head to see the water calmer than before. To the left, a rocky hillside. To the right, a shore side, completely rock.

    "Anything behind us?" Thorin asks from the front

    "Not that I can see," Balin answers from the back

    "I think we've outrun the Orcs," Bofur says after popping his head out of his barrel

    "Not for long," Thorin says "We've lost the current. Make for the shore! C'mon, let's go!"

    Together, you and Fili paddle your way to the rocky shore. Fili climbs out first then helps you. Once out your attention is caught by a grunt. You turn to see Kili crumbled down. He then sits upright and holds a cloth to the open wound on his thigh. Kili hisses in pain and closes his eyes tight before reopening them and turning his head to see you and Bofur looking at him worriedly.

    "I'm fine," Kili dismisses "It's nothing."

    "On your feet," Thorin demands as he passes by

    "Kili's wounded," Fili says, helping Kili to stand "His leg needs binding."

    "There's an Orc pack on our tail," Thorin replies "We keep moving."

    "To where?" Balin asks

    "To the mountain," Bilbo says "We're so close."

    "A lake lies between us and that mountain," Balin says "We have no way to cross it."

    "So then we go around," Bilbo says

    "The Orcs will run us down as sure as daylight," Dwalin says "We've no weapons to defend ourselves."

    "Bind his leg, quickly," Thorin says to you and Fili "You have two minutes."

    You and Fili do as told and start to bind Kili's leg. Fili tightly fastens fabric around the wound while you tie it into a knot once ready. The binding is a little faulty in a way but it'll do for the time being. You then try to put the back of your hand onto Kili's forehead to see if he's run any fever but he pushes your hand away with a hard look on his face.

    "I'm fine," He spits out

    This causes you to look at him in disbelief. Kili has never spoken to you in such a way ever since you've met. What could have you done for him to act in such a way?

    "I was only trying to help," You scoff lightly

    "I don't need your help," Kili replies

    You huff at his response and walk away to sit next to Dwalin. Mumbling angrily under your breath. Dwalin beside you chuckles at this.

    "What's so funny?" You question

    "Don't you worry," Dwalin says, seeming to already read the situation "He's a lad, stupid one at that. To try to put a she-elf in the likes of someone like you."

    You smile lightly in embarrassment at him saying this and shake your head a bit.

    "Thanks, Dwalin," You say

    "Da," Dwalin corrects "That's what your first word was."

    You both smile at each other and Dwalin puts an arm around your shoulder. Not knowing how to care or comfort you since recently finding you after many years apart. This gesture makes your smile grow wider. It's a step in showing he wants to get to know you. A step in possibly leading a life you were meant to be.