Chapter 41: Unfulfilled Promises

"I want this fortress made safe by sunup," Thorin claims

    Once everyone had arrived at the front, there were demands of taking the rubble from the old gate to make a temporary new one. You do what you can to help with the process. The others mainly doing the work.

    "This mountain was hard-won," Thorin says "I will not see it taken again."

    "People of Lake-Town have nothing," Kili speaks up, dropping the barrel he was guiding "They came to us in need. They have lost everything."

    "Do not tell me what they have lost," Thorin replies "I know well enough their hardship. Those who have lived through dragon fire should rejoice. They have much to be grateful for."

    "Were you?" You ask, stopping as well and gaining his attention "Or did you? Did you have joy after such devastation?"

    A look of thought crosses Thorin's face before he turns away.

    "More stone!" Thorin says, ignoring what you had just said "Bring more stone to the gate!"

    Come morning, the new gate is finished at the best quality for the situation at hand. Rubble pieces stacked strategically on top of each other with makeshift stairs to go with. In the time after the gate is finished, you help the others find weapons that were hidden in one of the many halls. While Dwalin is sharpening some of them, you sharpen your sword. Then Thorin passes by quickly.

    "Come on," He says, gaining yours, Dwalin's, Fili's, and Kili's attention

    Dwalin quickly takes the mace-like weapon he was working within his hand before following closely after Thorin. Fili does the same with a couple of swords that were in front of him as does Kili with one that was there as well. Meanwhile, you just carry the one you've had.

    Soon enough, everyone has climbed the makeshift stairs to look out the opening of the mountain. Sights of golden soldiers can be seen all around the lingering structure of Dale. Their height and precision giving away that they are Elven soldiers. The sound of hooves beating against the stone walkway is what takes your attention away from the soldiers. A horse being ridden by Bard approaches the mountain.

   "Hail, Thorin, Son of Thrain," Bard says as he brings his horse to a stop "We are glad to find you alive beyond hope."

    "Why do you come to the gates of the King under the Mountain armed for war?" Thorin questions immediately

    "Why does the Kind under the Mountain fence himself in?" Bard retorts "Like a robber in his hold?"

    "Perhaps it is because I am expecting to be robbed," Thorin says simply

    "My lord, we have not come to rob you," Bard states "But to seek fair settlement. Will you not speak with me?"

    A short nod comes from Thorin before he descends back down the stairs. Bard dismounting his horse before walking up to the gate. His eyes looking around at the structure before him as he gets nearer. Eventually, you see as he finds the hole within the gate for the purpose of privately speaking to those on the other side. Bard then speaks towards it, leading you to assume Thorin has reached the other side.

    "Let's go," Dwalin says from your side

    He then leads you and the others back down the stairs. Your eyes watching Thorin as he speaks to Bard but unable to hear to anything that is said. Thorin then turns away from the hole for a moment. His back leaning against the wall before his eyes land on everyone as you are all waiting for him.

    "Begone!" Thorin shouts towards the hole "Ere our arrows fly!"

    A loud grunt and a thud can be heard from Bard. Soon retreating hooves can be heard as you share a slightly disappointed look with Bilbo.

    As you watch as Bard returns toward Dale, Bilbo finally speaks up.

    "What are you doing?" He says, gaining everyone's attention "You cannot go to war."

    "This does not concern you," Thorin claims flatly

    "Excuse me, but just in case you haven't noticed," Bilbo quickly speaks "There is an army of Elves out there. Not to mention several hundred angry fishermen. W-We are, in fact, outnumbered."

    "Not for much longer," Thorin says smugly

    "What does that mean?" Bilbo asks

    "It means, Master Baggins," Thorin says, stepping closer to Bilbo "You should never underestimate Dwarves."

    A look of thought crosses Bilbo's face, but not one that you have seen before. He has something else on his mind, something that even you don't know about. Bilbo then meets your gaze, the thought still clearly on his mind.

    "We have reclaimed Erebor," Thorin says "Now we defend it."

    With all that has happened, how can Thorin be in such a way? What sickness lies within him that clouds his mind in such a way?