Chapter III

Chapter III

Ariadne  

    "Please," Lairos urged me, "stay away from the door and windows. It isn't safe yet."

    I reluctantly pulled myself away from the window and stood beside Lairos. His sword was drawn and he was sweating, his eyes tight and drawn. His gaze was locked on the door to the small room we were in. After just barely managing to escape the city before it was invaded, we rode to a nearby village where we rented a room in the village caupona. It was quite vulgar and horrible for me to experience, but I placed that all aside for the more important matters at hand.

    I folded my hands glanced up at Lairos who was much taller than me. His shaggy black hair which was normally so neat was now matted against his forehead and falling out of the leather binding he usually used to keep it contained.

    "How long must we wait?" I questioned quietly, trying to distract myself from all the worries that threatened to bring me to tears. I couldn't let that happen. Mother would want me to be strong. I pushed back the heavy hood of the cloak that Lairos had insisted I wear to keep me hidden. Sweat was beginning to pool in my forehead in a most uncomfortable way.

    "I am not certain, your highness, but we must stay hidden for at least a day," Lairos answered, not taking his eyes off of the door.

    I finally relented to resting on the bed as the sun disappeared altogether and Lairos reminded me that he would keep watch. I lowered my head down upon the quite flat mattress. But I was so exhausted that I fell asleep almost instantly.

    "...Princess!"

    I opened my eyes sometime later, wide awake as I realized that Lairo's was shaking me. "Princess, we must leave. The Persians have made it to the village. They must be searching for you."

    I nodded and rose from the bed, wrapping the cloak tighter around my small, shaking body. I wasn't really cold, but I was most certainly afraid. If they were searching for me, then it didn't bode well for wherever my mother was. But I held onto the hope that she had gotten away and I would see her again soon.

    Lairos led me out the slave entrance to the caupona because there were soldiers outside in the main streets. This door opened up into a back way and would keep us hidden for longer.

    We hurried through the streets with only the occasional torch and the moonlight to guide us, but that didn't hinder Lairos. He led us steady through the streets, for which I was grateful.

However, we didn't remain hidden for long. As we crossed another street, a shout rang out into the night, freezing my heart.

    "Run," Lairos whispered fiercely into my ear, "I will hold them off. Get out of the village and hide in the nearby forest. I will find you there."

My hands were shaking and I desperately tried to steady them without much success. I gave a shaky nod then Lairos was gone, running back the way we came.

I watched where he had been only a moment ago before taking a shaky, deep breath and obeying his instruction. I ran as fast as I could, hiking up my chiton and cloak, keeping my face as a stone.

As I ran, the shouts behind me were information enough to know that Lairos was fighting for me. It gave me renewed vigor to keep going and not stop. But as the voices faded away and it no longer sounded like fighting, my feet slowed to a stop. I listened, pleading silently to hear the horrible shouts of the Persians once more that told me Lairos was still fighting.

But my heart told me what I refused to believe. Lairo's was either captured or dead because of me. That thought alone almost forced me to my knees, but the sound of footsteps brought me back. I hurried on, destined to not let his sacrifice be in vain.

Welcome back! I hope you guys enjoyed the third chapter! Let us know what you think by commenting our voting! Thanks!

Ariadne - Ithildae