Chapter LX

Chapter LX

Ariadne

"Stop! I'll tell you, just... don't hurt him anymore," I pleaded, pulling against the harsh grips on my arms. A malicious smile grew on the emperor's face and he raised his eyebrows in expectancy.

"Ruins," I forced out, feeling like rocks were blocking my airway. I couldn't stop looking at Lycus. What had they done to him? He looked absolutely... horrid. And his leg... it was twisted in an unnatural angle. I had to use all my self control to keep from breaking down over the thought. This was all my fault. His pain was all my fault, and I couldn't do a thing about it.

"Persians do tend to do that, my dear," the emperor said icily, "But tell me, is there anything left? Something perhaps left over that Rome could benefit from?"

All at once, his interrogation clicked. He wanted to know about my home so he could loot it as well! But no... I couldn't do that. I couldn't betray my home.

"I can't," I said weakly, sagging against the strong arms of the Roman soldiers. I was tiny compared to them, and they hardly needed to hold onto me to keep me restrained.

"Can't?" Caesar said thoughtfully, rubbing his chin, "Or won't?" He flicked a finger towards Lycus.

"No! Please don't hurt him. I can't tell you, but please," I sobbed, "don't hurt him. He doesn't deserve this. Let him go, you have me." Somewhere inside me I knew it was futile to ask for such a thing, but I had to try. I was stuck between what my mother called a rock and a hard place. I couldn't tell them what they wanted to know, but I also couldn't let Lycus be punished on my behalf.

The soldiers didn't listen to my plea. They brought over another jug of old wine and dumped it on Lycus' limp body. I had to turn away as I heard him cry out, the wine running through all his open wounds like lava.

At that moment, I decided that Romans, not Persians, were the cruelest people to ever walk this earth. The pain they inflicted was not right. It wasn't! But what could I do? I couldn't even find my mother to help her, much less help myself. It seemed that it was all hopeless.

Well that one wasn't much better, was it? :/

Ariadne - Ithildae