Chapter XLI

Chapter XLI

Ariadne

Lycus steadily weaved through the narrow alleys again, me clutching his hand tightly. I breathed heavily, trying to focus on anything but the constant pain shooting up my legs. I stumbled on a loose rock in the road, yanking on Lycus' hand. He held me steady until I could regain my footing before resuming our pace.

"How much further?" I asked.

"Hopefully not too long," he answered. "We just need to get out of this seedy area. Then we can find a place to stay for the night."

I nodded, then mumbled an okay when I realized he couldn't see it.

We continued on for some time until we passed out the narrow, dark alleyways and stepped out into the more well lit streets. We kept along the sides of the roads, more out of sight, until we reached a large square. I instantly recognized it, even in the dark. This was the same square where I had been sold to the Lycus' master. I cringed, and held back the urge to run.

Lycus came to a stop in front of a small shop at the edge of the square that was still lit. There was a roman sign hanging above the door designating it as a bakery.

Lycus turned to me. "Okay, here's what we're going to do. You're going to go in there and talk with the baker. Then I'm going to come in and while you distract him, I'm going to get us something to eat, and maybe a little something extra." Right on cue, my stomach growled and I rubbed in absentmindedly.

"Lycus, I'm not sure--"

"Look, we don't have much of a choice, okay? We have no money, and even if we did no one would sell to us."

"I don't think I can do this," I whispered, looking down. I shuffled my feet, suddenly aware that I am not wearing any shoes.

Lycus placed his hands on my shoulders. "It's okay. You can do this. You want to see your mother again, don't you?"

"Yes, but--"

"No buts," Lycus said firmly, "Now go on in."

I took a deep breath before facing the door. Then I entered, and was greeted with warmth.

Happy Saturday, everyone! I hope you all are having a fantastic day so far! Please don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed! :-)

Ariadne - Ithildae