Chapter LIX

Chapter LIX

Lycus

I was only semi-aware of what was going on around me. I heard many voices, so I assumed I was in a crowd or something. Or maybe it was just my foggy mind messing with me. I couldn't really tell the difference at this point.

"Lycus!" I thought I heard Ariadne's voice. I tried to raise my head and open my eyes to look, but it hurt too much and I lacked the strength.

I was jostled some more, then I felt liquid being poured over my skin. It burned and stung like fire, causing me to cry out. The pain brought me back to reality. I was in a room full of people, and after looking around some more through blurry vision, I saw Ariadne held firm by two soldiers, standing before the Emperor.
Then all the past events that led to this current circumstance came back.

"Now, Princess, are you ready to answer the question I put to you?" Caesar asked, scorn evident in his voice. Ariadne looked frightened, but defiant as well. She didn't say anything for a few more seconds.

Caesar nodded to the guards holding me and one nudged my twisted leg with his boot. The action caused me to let out a hiss of pain. That leg hurt even when nothing was touching it.

Ariadne bit her lip, a conflict going on in her head. I wanted her to answer the question, whatever it was, so I could be left alone, but I also didn't want her to let anything slip that should be kept secret.

I hung my head again, tired and in pain.

Ariadne sighed. "Yes. I was hiding," she said stiffly.

"Where is your mother?" The Emperor asked.

"I don't know," Ariadne replied through clenched teeth.

"What of Thebes? How was the city last you saw it?"

Ariadne didn't answer at once.

Caesar gave another nod and then I received another, harsher, kick to my injured leg. I did my best to ignore it, but at this point, it was impossible. I let out a hiss and a groan. I just wanted it all to end!

I know I know, pooor Lycus :( Here's a double update for your tears.

Lycus - GadSul